Can I use the same power adapter all over the world for all voltages and both 50 and 60 Hz frequency?
Frequency: The power adapter that came with my Macbook Pro in the USA stopped working while using it in Japan where the power is 100 V 50 Hz. I noticed it got really hot when I used it in Japan. I had to buy a new one in Tokyo, and this one doesn't seem to get nearly as hot when I'm using it in Japan. I am wondering if I need 2 different power adapters for the 2 different countries.
Warranty: Or maybe I had a defective power adapter from the start? It is less than a year old. Can I get it replaced under warranty?
- Asked by Kimberly W from Redwood City
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the same power adapter all over the world for all voltages and both 50 and 60 Hz frequency?)
1 Answer from the Community
I've used mine all over the world without trouble. When the adapter steps up or down and has to work at a higher or lower frequency its efficiency changes and heat is a normal by-product of the lost energy in conversion. You may just have had a weak unit.
- Answered by Richard S from Apo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
The Ipad charger for American 110 volt 60 Hz. Is it also 240 volt 50 Hz?
- Asked by George M from Fairfield
- Mar 31, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (The Ipad charger for American 110 volt 60 Hz. Is it also 240 volt 50 Hz?)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
What is the power voltage range for the AirPort Express?
- Asked by Francisco E from Lima
- Jun 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the power voltage range for the AirPort Express?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express