Will it hurt my macbook pro if i leave the power supply plugged in to the wall socket and in to my 2011 Macbook Pro at all times (mostly)?
My Macbook Pro stays on my desk for the most part. Will it hurt to leave it plugged in all the time, or should the battery be cycled on a regular basis?
2 Answers from the Community
For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.
If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your notebook and battery at the proper temperature.
- Answered by Gary S from Jacksonville Beach
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I would buy a surge protector for your Macbook Pro. I believe most people who run into problems with the charger is due to no surge protection. The macbook is very intricate device and the charger that comes with it doesn't have surge protection. A computer will last longer if plugged into a surge protector.
- Answered by Peter H from Irvine
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I bought my macbook air recently from the US, I need is the little component that goes into the wall socket (the UK 3-pin instead of the US 2-pin)
- Asked by Nader H
- Mar 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I bought my macbook air recently from the US, I need is the little component that goes into the wall socket (the UK 3-pin instead of the US 2-pin))
- Asked about: Apple 45W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter f…
Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem or does it work plugged into a router/Ethernet plug on the wall?
- Asked by Michael K from Pacific Palisades
- May 31, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Time Capsule only work when plugged into a modem or does it work plugged into a router/Ethernet plug on the wall?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
Is there a chance to switch the wall adapter from Thai into something else?
- Asked by Semion L from Arad
- Feb 28, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a chance to switch the wall adapter from Thai into something else?)
- Asked about: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (…