Will it hurt my macbook pro if i leave the power supply plugged in to the wall socket and in to my 2011 Macbook Pro at all times (mostly)?
My Macbook Pro stays on my desk for the most part. Will it hurt to leave it plugged in all the time, or should the battery be cycled on a regular basis?
4 Answers from the Community
It's recommend for 2014 MacBook Pro to keep on charge whenever you can, there is no need for drain the battery 0% to charge full,
Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you’ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery’s capacity — but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery’s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product.
- Answered by Sivachandran B from Goosebay
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is it OK to leave my MacBook Pro plugged into the wall all the time
- Answered by Andre H from Decatur
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I would buy a surge protector for your Macbook Pro. I believe most people who run into problems with the charger is due to no surge protection. The macbook is very intricate device and the charger that comes with it doesn't have surge protection. A computer will last longer if plugged into a surge protector.
- Answered by Peter H from Irvine
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
The useable life of a battery is a function of use, rather than a function of discharge cycles. "Use" includes time sleeping as opposed to being powered off. Sleep mode is a useful way of keeping your Mac productive throughout the day, however keeping a Mac in sleep mode overnight offers little practical benefit. A good compromise for maintaining productivity and long battery life, is to let a Mac sleep between periods of sporadic use during the day, but shut-down overnight when idle.
- Answered by Michael E
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
can i supply power to my 2016 macbook pro from a usb charger?
- Asked by Mark R from Cincinnati
- Jan 29, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (can i supply power to my 2016 macbook pro from a usb charger?)
- Asked about: Mac
Can this drive be used with a Macbook 12 inch without the computer being connected to the power supply?
- Asked by Rohit G from Mumbai
- Dec 5, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this drive be used with a Macbook 12 inch without the computer being connected to the power supply?)
- Asked about: G-Technology 1TB G-DRIVE mobile USB…
Is this case for the newest model of the MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Ximena C from Asuncion
- Feb 19, 2017
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this case for the newest model of the MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Incase 12" Ariaprene Classic Sleeve…