Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
1 Answer from the Community
There currently is no male to female thunderbolt cable, but you can connect the thunderbolt display by using a standard thunderbolt cable and plugging this into the display's own thunderbolt port.
- Answered by Lincoln J from Eastbourne
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will it work with Apple Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Sean A from Chapel Hill
- Nov 20, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will it work with Apple Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 33 ft./10 m Optical Cab…
Will this cable work from a Thunderbolt MBP to a FEMALE Thunderbolt jack on a Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by David Y from Los Altos
- Oct 5, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable work from a Thunderbolt MBP to a FEMALE Thunderbolt jack on a Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - B…