How do these speakers compare to the Focal XS Satellite Speakers and Subwoofer? Which should I buy to use with both my iMac or my MacBook Pro? Thanks
2 Answers from the Community
The Focal XS 2.1 speakers offer considerably more bass response for a hundred dollars more. They also have a built-in dock for quick charging or listening to your iPod library. They are, however, not as sonically nor acoustically clear as the MM-1s. Though they cannot achieve uncomfortable levels, the Focals are much, much more powerful due much to their massive subwoofer. If your main intentions are acoustic or jazz soundscapes in a tiny room, the MM-1s are desirable. If you plan on watching movies as well as music and want some major punch to your computer entertainment center, the Focals are better because their satellite speakers are still pretty slim on the desk.
- Answered by Jeffrey S from Indianapolis
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Just add a subwoofer to the MM-1s. The MM-1s take audio-input through a USB connection. With a mac you can easily add a subwoofer through the regular 3.5mm jack on the computer. Use the Apple Midi Setup utility to add a new Multi-Output Device which will send the output signal to the sub simultaneously with the MM-1 speakers. Then use the freeware Soundflower app to maintain normal system volume control. Done, you've addressed the single great shortcoming to these speakers and retained all their advantages. If the 3.5mm output on your mac also supports digital optical out (all do except the Macbook Air), you can even run an optical cable from the jack to a cheap DAC and then to the subwoofer and you have all speakers using external DAC-processed sound.
- Answered by Eric H from Fort Lee
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
speakers for MacBook Pro 15 connected to Thunderbolt display
- Asked by Scott G from Santa Rosa
- Nov 27, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (speakers for MacBook Pro 15 connected to Thunderbolt display)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)
When I use 2011 iMac as monitor for my Macbook Pro using this cable, can I also use iMac's speaker for Macbook Pro?
- Asked by Haibo S from Ithaca
- Jun 29, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (When I use 2011 iMac as monitor for my Macbook Pro using this cable, can I also use iMac's speaker for Macbook Pro?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) - W…