Similar questions from the community
External storage via ethernet?
If I can't use the USB port to access external storage wirelessly, would I be able to hook up a network-enabled external drive via one of the ethernet ports, and have the other port lead to my modem? I don't want to get an Airport Extreme as that lacks the optical audio output that I want to use for a home audio system
- Asked by Devon S from Richmond
- Nov 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (External storage via ethernet?)
No answers yet
When using the express as a WiFi extension from the Extreme base station. Can Ethernet port be used?
With a baby on the way I have searched for a video baby monitor that will work best with all my iOS devices. The iBaby video monitor seemed the best fit. It needs to be hardwired directly into a modem in order for it to broadcast the video signal over WiFi. To avoid running Ethernet into the room I would prefer to use the Express to extend the WiFi from my Airport Extreme base station. But will then need to use the Express Ethernet wired connection for the monitor. Is this possible?
- Asked by Aaron B from Surprise
- Oct 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (When using the express as a WiFi extension from the Extreme base station. Can Ethernet port be used?)
can i use a air port to share files from a windows to a mac
I have just upgraded to a macbook air and all my files are on a windows 8 computer can i use a air port to share the files over the network?
- Asked by Bradley S
- Oct 18, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use a air port to share files from a windows to a mac)
Connect my wd my book live nas drive to airport express
Im looking to purchase the airport express to extend my extremes wifi network. I hoping to put a western digital hardrive into the Ethernet slot on the express, as the express will be in the middle of the house enabling my office mac to share the content.
Hope that makes sense.
- Asked by Richard D
- Aug 20, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Connect my wd my book live nas drive to airport express)
can airport express run a hard drive?
Can I plug a hard drive into the Airport Express's USB port and access it wirelessly?
- Asked by Andy H from Kutztown
- Oct 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can airport express run a hard drive?)
Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?
Can the new (June 11 2012) AirPort Express Base Station extend an existing network by connecting an ethernet cable from an AirPort Extreme to the Express's WAN port, thereby making the Express both a wireless access point and also an ethernet port via its LAN part?
- Asked by Bruce V from Santa Cruz
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?)
Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?
AirPort Extreme (WiFi) --> AirPort Express (repeater mode) --> ethernet cable (WAN/LAN)--> iMac
- Asked by Gladstone P from Phoenixville
- Mar 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?)
Can one use the USB port to plug in a flash drive and share files over the LAN using the Airport Express?
The USB port supports USB printing. Can one plug a flash drive into it instead and share files on the flash drive to those connected to the wireless LAN?
- Asked by Bill A from Mission Viejo
- Jun 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can one use the USB port to plug in a flash drive and share files over the LAN using the Airport Express?)
Is there be a difference in range and/or performance if I use an ethernet WIRED 5th Gen Extreme or a new Express for roaming network?
Currently I'm using a a 5th Gen Extreme as my primary router. Want to create a roaming network. Will I see performance difference between Extreme and new Express?
- Asked by Chris A from Upland
- Nov 8, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there be a difference in range and/or performance if I use an ethernet WIRED 5th Gen Extreme or a new Express for roaming network?)
Is the LAN port Gigabit ethernet?
- Asked by Dustin F from Vancouver
- Jun 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the LAN port Gigabit ethernet?)
Can I connect the A-Express to my panasonic freeview decoder / hard drive using an ethernet cable and then use it wirelessly to connect my computer?
Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?
- Asked by Paulo Roberto G from Itu
- Jul 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?)
Are discounts available for Veterans?
need Airport Extreme for USB to USB connection from Extreme to external Hard drive.
- Asked by C. Elliott A from Mcminnville
- Aug 4, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Are discounts available for Veterans?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
No answers yet
is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV
I want to bring the iTunes library to my stereo, and googling on this there were a number of posts that suggested that Airport Extreme had better decoding for CD quality audio then did the AppleTV. All the iTunes files are of course digital, and I am intending to use the optical output of either the Airport Express or AppleTV.
To really hear a difference I would need to do an A/B test of one against the other - which I do not intend to do, but I do have a very high end system so when things are not as they should be there is no hiding it.
I don't need the AppleTV right now for the theater setting - so video streaming ability would be on hold there, for now but likely added sometime in the next year or so.
It's really a matter of which device is going to be better for delivering the iTunes music library to the stereo system. Why there would be a different between the Airport Extreme and the AppleTV is not clear to me. The limiting source would seem to be the bit rate of the files in iTunes - but perhaps I am missing something. Perhaps there is a difference in DA converters - though that too would seem strange, but with the use of the Digital Optical Out I would think that there should be no difference.
But certainly better to know about it before I buy the device and get it set up - appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
- Asked by Dan R from Superior
- Jul 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (is there audio quality difference between the airport extreme and Apple TV)
If I extend wi-fi network from an Airport Extreme basestation via WDS to this unit, can both ethernet ports be used for networking non wi-fi devices?