Similar questions from the community
Will AirTunes work even if the airport express is in repeater mode?
- Asked by Romeo O from Manila
- Jul 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Will AirTunes work even if the airport express is in repeater mode?)
Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?
I currently have an airport extreme, which is very good at getting range throughout my very long unit (about 30 meters.)
I have my TV, XBOX, PC down one end.. and my iMac is down the other end. I had the Extreme set up in the middle of the house. So it turns out, my xbox360 along with the NBA App wont give me HD unless its plugged in, even if the wireless Extreme unit is sitting 5 inches away from the XBOX360 (I tested this). Highlights work fine, but actual games - na.
So I though I would move the extreme in the room with the XBOX 360 etc in it..
Anyway, surprisingly, down the other end of the house, the iMac works on the internet fine! The iPhone 5 also works well.(checked with speediest and can confirm that the iphone lost less than 10% at the end of the house! impressive :-) ) BUT when I look at the iMac network connection, it says the transmit signal is only 27 down from around 217. The internet is fine, but youtube has taken a hit.
My dilemma then, is that I need the printer connected to a wireless device so everything including our laptops can print. I also would not mind extending the range back out for the iMac.
So I am considering the Express to put in the middle of the house.
1) If I have my modem plugged into the extreme, I assume I can use the express as an extender?
2) Can I plug the printer into the Extender, or in this case, the little express which will be used as an extender?
I sort of dont want the printer near the TV due to room issues, and would like to bring back the super quickness of the internet to the iMac.. Im not so fussed about the internet for the iMac, as its only YouTube which has taken a hit, everything else works great, which is amazing at such a long range. (almost 100 feet)
- Asked by Dennis K from Mosman
- Nov 15, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Technical network question: can I use the Express with my current Airport Extreme, as a repeater with printer connected?)
Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?
AirPort Extreme (WiFi) --> AirPort Express (repeater mode) --> ethernet cable (WAN/LAN)--> iMac
- Asked by Gladstone P from Phoenixville
- Mar 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I receive an Internet connection from the Ethernet ports of an AirPort Express if the Express is extending an Extreme's WiFi signal wirelessly?)
Can i use 2 airport express, the other one as a repeater or extender?
- Asked by Jerson C from Wood Village
- Jan 1, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use 2 airport express, the other one as a repeater or extender?)
Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?
I have a cable modem with a single Ethernet port, which can be used to connect it to either a computer or a WiFi router, such as the AirPort Express. Thus if the modem is connected to a wireless router and an Ethernet connection to a computer is also desired, the latter must be connected to the Ethernet LAN port on the wireless router, which passes through the Ethernet WAN connection from the modem. I want to be able to turn off the wireless router when I don't need WiFi, but still have the computer connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Some wireless routers pass the connection from their Ethernet WAN port (connection from a modem) through to the Ethernet LAN port even when the device is itself not running. Is this true of the AirPort Express?
- Asked by Andrew M from Santa Fe
- Dec 8, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Do the Ethernet WAN & LAN ports on the Airport Express work to pass through an Internet connection even when the AirPort Express itself is shut down?)
While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?
If a new Airport Express is bridging a network connection provided by an Airport Extreme, will it allow two devices to be wired to the express and "bridged" to the primary network? I would like to relocate a mac pro and xbox 360 on the other side of my house and would like to hook these two devices up to the network. Otherwise an airport express and a switch would work, so I have read, but I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
- Asked by Eric P from Clifton Park
- Sep 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (While using an Express Base station in BRIDGE mode, are both ethernet jacks on the express active and free to use with wired devices?)
Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?
- Asked by Paulo Roberto G from Itu
- Jul 29, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use it as a ethernet repeater for my airport extreme?)
Can I return my airport express if it does not work?
- Asked by Marilyn V from Naples
- Jun 9, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I return my airport express if it does not work?)
Can the new Airport Express Base Station extend the network from a new Airport Extreme Base Station AND use Airplay at the same time?
My old Airport Express cannot do both, you either have to set it up to create a network, join an existing network to extend it, or set it up for AirTunes. If the new one could do both, I'll buy it.
Can the Airport express just die?
I woke up and my old airport express had no litghs lit up and I I lost my wifi connection, however my router is still working
- Asked by Alan G from South Yarmouth
- Mar 17, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the Airport express just die?)
No answers yet
can we use airport extreme used as repeater router
I am having a service provider wifi router as base station and recently purchased airport extreme.Is it possible to use it as repeater router to expand range of wifi network
- Asked by Milind S
- May 30, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can we use airport extreme used as repeater router)
Can I use the airport express as an audio transmitter?
I want to connect audio from a non-wifi unit to an airport express to broadcast that audio to another airport express for audio output to powered speakers.
If this can work, I want to know if I can have multiple receiving expresses.
If there is no way to input audio to the airport express, does anyone have a recommendation for a wifi audio transmitter that would be compatible with say two airport express units for a stereo signal?
- Asked by Ken W from Mesquite
- Sep 7, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the airport express as an audio transmitter?)
do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work
I'm thinking of buying a airport express to wirelessly stream music to my speakers but i was wondering if you need to have the airport extreme as well to make it work. thanks
- Asked by James H from Nedlands
- Apr 15, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (do you need the airport extreme for the airport express to work)
Would the Airport Express be faster than my main router even though the Airport is connect to my main hub?
If I buy the Airport Express would it act faster (higher upload and download speed) than my main hub, it is connected too? The main hub is an EE fibre router although if I buy this product would it be faster and give off a longer signal?
Moden - centurylink zyxel C1000? Does the modem need to be in bridge mode or will the airport express take care of everything during setup?
- Asked by Charlie C from Eden
- Jul 26, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Moden - centurylink zyxel C1000? Does the modem need to be in bridge mode or will the airport express take care of everything during setup?)
Power Supply voltage question
Does this Airport Express have a 110/220 switch mode power supply for international use?
- Asked by David C from San Francisco
- Jun 14, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Power Supply voltage question)