Similar questions from the community
Can I buy the 10.6 Family pack and use it to upgrade one macbook running 10.5 and one macbook pro running 10.4?
I have a old fairly broken down Macbook Pro that was a seriously early revision, like 13 weeks out of the factory. It is running the latest version of Tiger (10.4.11? I can't remember). I also have a newer Macbook running 10.5.8.
My plan is to use the old MBP with a external harddrive hooked up to a tv to play my movies. I'm fairly stubborn and want to do this using dvdpedia and frontrow but the plugin will not work under 10.4, only 10.5 or 10.6.
So I was wondering if I could purchase the Snow Leopard family pack and upgrade BOTH my computers? I know in the description it says to upgrade from Tiger I need the box set edition but I do not need any of the iApps, in fact I would delete them straight away so no way am I paying $NZ349 for it. This is probably more than the computer is worth seeing as the airport card, battery and dvd drive do not work.
Sorry if this is overly complicated but I am a student and I don't want to commit my money if there is no hope of achieving what I want! If anyone has some answers or clarification for me that would be amazing :)
- Asked by Frances R from Dunedin
- Feb 7, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I buy the 10.6 Family pack and use it to upgrade one macbook running 10.5 and one macbook pro running 10.4?)
I am running 10.5.8 on a MACBOOK AIR and want to erase everything and upgrade to 10.6.
Can I do this successfully using an iMac on my network to run the DVD, as the Air does not have an optical drive.
Early model Air; 1.6 GHz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB 687 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
- Asked by Laurence S from Columbus
- Apr 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I am running 10.5.8 on a MACBOOK AIR and want to erase everything and upgrade to 10.6.)
Can I install10.6 to a clean drive...
Im running 10.5 on my main drive on a Mac Pro. I dont want to changeanything.
However, I need 10.6 to run Bootcamp and 3DS Max. Id like to set this up on a fresh disk and not change my primary disk. Is the 'update disk' able to do this....
- Asked by Glenn T from Richmond
- Dec 31, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I install10.6 to a clean drive...)
No answers yet
I'm confused. Have a Mac OS X 10.5.8. want to upgrade to 10.6 BUT it says I have to running Leopard. I don't see that anywhere on my MAC
I am not very computer software savvy - so how do I know if I even have the basic Leopard or Lion or whatever animal it is that you need to even begin to upgrade to 10/6 or better?
- Asked by Mark M from Lakeland
- Jul 18, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm confused. Have a Mac OS X 10.5.8. want to upgrade to 10.6 BUT it says I have to running Leopard. I don't see that anywhere on my MAC)
will this snow leopard upgrade work on IMac 9.1 running OS X 10.5.8
I'm almost computer illiterate. My macbook pro has crashed (hard drive dead) & I'm now using my old desktop iMac, it's running Mac OS X 10.5.8 Any assistance is appreciated.
Details of system wanting to upgrade are :
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.44f0
- Asked by Simon J from Pacific Pines
- Jun 18, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (will this snow leopard upgrade work on IMac 9.1 running OS X 10.5.8)
I have OS X 10.6.6 but need 10.8.8 or higher for software I want to run. How best to upgrade?
Mac used to run Adobe Lightroom 2, but to tie in with installation of new hard drive, I now want to install Lightroom 4. Thanks.
- Asked by Lisa L from Eaglemont
- Mar 10, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (I have OS X 10.6.6 but need 10.8.8 or higher for software I want to run. How best to upgrade?)
I have OS X 10.5.8, also Windows Vista running under Bootcamp. If I upgrade to 10.6, what happens to Bootcamp and the Windows files?
Bootcamp when upgrading to 10.6
what information do i need to upgrade my mac from 10.5.8 to 10.6
i recently bought an Intel imac late 2006 1.83ghz running 10.5 and i wanted to upgrade it to 10.6 but i don't have any of the original disks or any of the previous owners information. so i want to know if i need anything like the originals owners information or any of the disks that came with it.
- Asked by Josh S from Poulsbo
- Feb 12, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (what information do i need to upgrade my mac from 10.5.8 to 10.6)
i have intel based mac and i formatted the hard drive to ntfs i dont have the osx dvd do i need to buy full version of 10.6 or upgrade version
intel based mac running win 7 and i want to go back to snow leopard i dont have the instllation dvd any more do i need the full dvd instllation or the upgrade
lost my 10.5 discs for bootcamp drivers.
so i'm running 10.5 atm i wanna put windows or either linux on it using bootcamp. problem is i don't have my discs anymore so . . . yea. . . trouble.
but i thought i would buy the 10.6 upgrade version if that disc had all the drivers on it.
and is it a full install disc on its own?
- Asked by Maarten S from Tildonk
- Feb 17, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (lost my 10.5 discs for bootcamp drivers.)
No answers yet
Can I keep my itunes playlists if i upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5?
I ask becuase the upgarde does not automatically run as in the past. Instead it takes me to the website to download like I never had it. I have a few hundred playlists and it stinks when you cannot mass import the playlist back into your library. I had to import them one at a time.
- Asked by Greg G from Fort Lauderdale
- Mar 31, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I keep my itunes playlists if i upgrade to 10.6 from 10.5?)
Upgrading a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running 10.5.8, to 10.6 or higher? Worth it?
I have a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, currently running 10.5.8. Obviously this has its limitations, and I want to upgrade to 10.6. But can I do this without sacrificing speed of my computer? (It is already sometimes quite slow)
- Asked by Christine M from Toronto
- May 30, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Upgrading a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, running 10.5.8, to 10.6 or higher? Worth it?)
Can i run OSX 10.6 with Rosetta on G4 PPC?
i have a g4 MDD with )SX 10.5 on it and will upgrade to OSX 10.6
As i know is that possible on the G5 PPC by use of Rosetta. There is also a Intel G5 but im talking about the G4 Power PC
I also have a iMac G4,and just ordered a motherboard with Intel next generation to put it in my G3,i also like to put OSX 10.6 on
- Asked by Fred K
- Dec 7, 2010
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i run OSX 10.6 with Rosetta on G4 PPC?)
No answers yet
I'm running OS X 10.5. The optical drive no longer works on my Mac mini and I can't get the new external drive to work. How can I install OS X 10.6?
I have the Snow Leopard disk, I just can't figure out how to get it on my computer. And, of course, with the new iPhone and iPad updates we can't share anything from our iTunes accounts without updating the mac mini.
I'm running mac os x 10.5.8 and it seem to be slow,dose mac os x 10.6 make it run faster?
I'm using Mac os x 10.5.8 for a long time but it start to become slow.
will it become faster if i upgrade it to 10.6??
- Asked by Muang C from Bangkok
- May 11, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm running mac os x 10.5.8 and it seem to be slow,dose mac os x 10.6 make it run faster?)
I am running a windows vista instance with bootcamp on a partition that was made by boot camp.. will upgrading to 10.6 wipe my windows partition?
Also will the data on the apple partition be preserved or erased when I upgrade to 10.6.
im running OS X version 10.5.8. can i upgrade directly to OSX Lion? Or do i have to buy / download 10.6 Snow Leopard, then buy OSX Lion? Cheers.
- Asked by David W from Sydney
- Nov 16, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (im running OS X version 10.5.8. can i upgrade directly to OSX Lion? Or do i have to buy / download 10.6 Snow Leopard, then buy OSX Lion? Cheers.)
switching from 10.4 to 10.5 or 6
i'm running 10.4 software and would like to find and install 10.5 or 10.6, But don't need the whole "Snow leopard" pkg. can i just purchase this through apple or do i have to find an outside source to get my Mac upgraded?
- Asked by Mary J from Jacksonville
- Nov 26, 2009
- Flag as inappropriate (switching from 10.4 to 10.5 or 6)
What kind of problems will I encounter upgrading from 10.6.8? Will my MS Office:mac 2008 still work? How about my timemachine?
I bought my MacBook Pro to replace a company mac that I continued to do sales work for on commission. I stopped doing so after being hired by a competitor. The problem is I partitioned the hard drive for "work" and personal use. I lost the password for administrator for the "work" side years ago and the personal side is full. We bought a new Brother printer that was wifi and bluetooth functional, but on trying to set it up with the laptop, it informed me that I need to update the operating system. To make matters worse, during a recent remodel the power cord to my WD 1T hard drive I had used for time machine got lost and I can't seem to get a Toshiba 1T I bought on a sailing cruise to save pictures with, was configured as a windows unit and I have to use the NTFI? interface to access it, but it won't run Time machine. So now I'm not sure what to think, I would really like to run time machine and back up the computer before updating, and I'm concerned that all my apps won't function with the new op system.
Another FYI'er stuck
- Asked by Stephen H from Avon
- Jan 23, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (What kind of problems will I encounter upgrading from 10.6.8? Will my MS Office:mac 2008 still work? How about my timemachine?)