Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?
I have purchased a Thunderbolt NAS drive from Apple recently and also have a Thunderbolt enabled Macbook Air.
My question is that if I purchase then new Display, can I connect the NAS through the Thunderbolt port on the back of the Display?
I know this is the case for USB but does it work for Thunderbolt connected drives as well?
- Asked by John H
- Mar 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?)
Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?
I have been using an Apple Thunderbolt Display since it was first available. In the past few years, I have been experiencing issues where a Macbook Pro (a mid 2013 edition and now a mid 2014 edition) has been experiencing ejecting disks, ejecting iDevices, and ejecting displays (i.e. display screen goes black). Logic boards have been replaced 3 times on the earlier Macbook Pro and 1 time on the 2014 edition. I am now experiencing the ejecting display issue again on the mid 2014 Macbook Pro.
After disconnecting all external devices (disks, iDevices, etc.), the only remaining item that is connected is the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems like the Thunderbolt cable is the issue. I wonder if the heat from the Thunderbolt connection has been causing failures in the logic boards, however, I digress.
Is is possible to completely replace the Thunderbolt cable from the Apple Display to a Macbook Pro?
- Asked by James W from Terre Haute
- Oct 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?)
can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?
Can you connect a cable box using HDMI to thunderbolt or mini display cable to the 27" Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Kip M from Naples
- Jan 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?)
No answers yet
What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?
So my question is, what all things I can connect to Thunderbolt display's USB ports?
If I connect a thumb drive, will it be accessible? (on mac mini if its connected to thunderbolt display)
If I have connected a Mac mini's thunderbolt port to Thunderbolt display, and for Internet access if I connect LAN cable to Ethernet port of Thunderbolt display, will I get internet connection on my mac mini?
- Asked by Vaibhav D from Pune
- Feb 17, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (What are the USB ports and Ethernet port on Thunderbolt Displays used for?)
Is it possible to use the thunderbolt display at all without a connecting device?
e.g. would it be possible to plug in an external hard drive and watch a movie without connecting my laptop and/or would it be possible to use the internet or a word doc with no laptop connected at the time?
- Asked by Tessa W from Toowoomba
- Feb 15, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to use the thunderbolt display at all without a connecting device?)
Macs that can be used with the Thunderbolt Display
- Asked by L Robert S from Bloomington
- Feb 5, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Macs that can be used with the Thunderbolt Display)
Can I connect my PC with DisplayPort to the Thunderbolt Display using an adapter or cable?
For work, I have an HP EliteBook 8470p, which has DisplayPort. When I'm using it at home, I'd like to be able to hook it up to my Thunderbolt Display.
I haven't found a male DisplayPort to female mini-DisplayPort/Thunderbolt adapter, but I have found a male DisplayPort to male mini-DisplayPort/Thunderbolt cable, which would technically allow me to connect the devices. However, I'm not sure whether the Thunderbolt Display accepts input from anything other than it's attached cable, or whether my PC's DisplayPort signal is compatible. Is it?
- Asked by Brandon V from Medina
- Jan 31, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my PC with DisplayPort to the Thunderbolt Display using an adapter or cable?)
Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable)
The "pigtale" cable will be short to reach my mac mini. My question is, if I buy two TB Displays, Can I use the TB port on the 1st display to connect to the mac mini and the pigtale from the 1st display to connect to the 2nd TB display and then be able to use both displays? (mac mini '11 2.5ghz)
Can anybody please check that this actually works?
- Asked by Valentino C from Sao Paulo
- Aug 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable))
Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?
I want to connect the Bose Companion 5 system via USB, but my question is how do I turn off the Thunderbolt Display sound while keeping the sound coming from my Bose Speakers?
Thanks in advance, hope someone can answer this, i'd really appreciate it!
- Asked by Michael C from Riverview
- Feb 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?)
can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?
To use the display for both a Mac tower and a Windows tower.
- Asked by Robert K from Philadelphia
- Jun 30, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (can a thunderbolt display be used with a KMV switch?)
Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Oct 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS
If the thunderbolt display is connected to my home network via ethernet (i.e. to my router)and also to a thunderbolt storage drive (such as the LaCie 4TB 2 big thunderbolt drive), will the storage drive function as a NAS that can be accessed by other devices on my network (e.g. for streaming photos and music to my Sonos, PC laptop, etc without a macbook being connected to the display too)?
- Asked by Tim A
- Mar 1, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS)
Connecting my Bose speakers to the Thunderbolt display
Ive some Bose Music Monitor Computer speakers Id like to use.
How would I connect them?
- Asked by Paul T
- Nov 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting my Bose speakers to the Thunderbolt display)
Will the computer charge as you are connected to the thunderbolt display
- Asked by Arline & Billye G from Albuquerque
- Nov 13, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the computer charge as you are connected to the thunderbolt display)
How to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to the new MacBook with USB-C connector?
Since the dual Thunderbolt+MagSafe cable of the display can't be replaced, and the UBS-C adaptors include VGA or HDMI ports, how can the display be used with the new MacBook?
- Asked by Veselin P
- Mar 9, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How to connect Apple Thunderbolt Display to the new MacBook with USB-C connector?)
Can i connect a macbook pro equipped with Thunderbolt to an old ADC cinema display? if so, How?
I'm in the market for a new macbook pro, but i can't seem to find any definite information as to whether or not i can use my old cinema display (using ADC). I know there is an ADC-DVI converter, and a Thunderbolt-DVI converter. Is it possible to simply buy both and use the old display?
- Asked by Nolan C from Binghamton
- Oct 26, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i connect a macbook pro equipped with Thunderbolt to an old ADC cinema display? if so, How?)
Is there a way to use the thunderbolt display as tv receiver?
I'm counsidering buying a TBD as an external display but, since my HDTV is already doing the job, I want to know if I can resell it and keep only the TBD.
I'm thinking for exemple about an option to install a tv card on it, or to use a usb tv card, or something like that.
- Asked by Wendy E from Miami
- Jan 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to use the thunderbolt display as tv receiver?)