Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Do you need two Thunderbolt cables to link 2 Thunderbolt displays to a 27" iMac?
Im looking at replacing my aging 2006 Macbook with a 27" iMac and looking to run 2 extra Thunderbolt displays how many Thunderbolt cables would i need?
- Asked by Chris P
- Jul 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you need two Thunderbolt cables to link 2 Thunderbolt displays to a 27" iMac?)
what cable is needed to connect the thunderbolt display to a mac pro?
- Asked by Semir B from Calgary
- Mar 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (what cable is needed to connect the thunderbolt display to a mac pro?)
Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?
I have been using an Apple Thunderbolt Display since it was first available. In the past few years, I have been experiencing issues where a Macbook Pro (a mid 2013 edition and now a mid 2014 edition) has been experiencing ejecting disks, ejecting iDevices, and ejecting displays (i.e. display screen goes black). Logic boards have been replaced 3 times on the earlier Macbook Pro and 1 time on the 2014 edition. I am now experiencing the ejecting display issue again on the mid 2014 Macbook Pro.
After disconnecting all external devices (disks, iDevices, etc.), the only remaining item that is connected is the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems like the Thunderbolt cable is the issue. I wonder if the heat from the Thunderbolt connection has been causing failures in the logic boards, however, I digress.
Is is possible to completely replace the Thunderbolt cable from the Apple Display to a Macbook Pro?
- Asked by James W from Terre Haute
- Oct 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?)
No answers yet
Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Oct 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?
Can you connect a cable box using HDMI to thunderbolt or mini display cable to the 27" Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Kip M from Naples
- Jan 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?)
No answers yet
latest model of the thunderbolt display?
Why would the website wont show any model number of what i am buying??
- Asked by Matthew B
- Sep 30, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (latest model of the thunderbolt display?)
No answers yet
Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?
I want to connect the Bose Companion 5 system via USB, but my question is how do I turn off the Thunderbolt Display sound while keeping the sound coming from my Bose Speakers?
Thanks in advance, hope someone can answer this, i'd really appreciate it!
- Asked by Michael C from Riverview
- Feb 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?)
Does the latest Apple Thunderbolt display have a mega safe 2 connector or mega safe?
I am thinking of buying the new line of macs and I was wondering if Thunderbolt display has a mega safe 2 connector or 1? Do I need an adapter?
And which of the new Macs have Mega Safe 2? Does Air has Mega Safe 1 or 2?
- Asked by Rawaz M from Bradenton
- Jun 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the latest Apple Thunderbolt display have a mega safe 2 connector or mega safe?)
Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable)
The "pigtale" cable will be short to reach my mac mini. My question is, if I buy two TB Displays, Can I use the TB port on the 1st display to connect to the mac mini and the pigtale from the 1st display to connect to the 2nd TB display and then be able to use both displays? (mac mini '11 2.5ghz)
Can anybody please check that this actually works?
- Asked by Valentino C from Sao Paulo
- Aug 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable))
Thunderbolt display audio output to RCA
I have a Macbook Pro connected to a Thunderbolt display and I would like to output audio (ideally from the display) to a 5.1 speaker system that takes six RCA inputs. Can you tell me if this is possible and what I'd need please?
- Asked by John K
- Jan 30, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display audio output to RCA)
No answers yet
Is there a way to use the thunderbolt display as tv receiver?
I'm counsidering buying a TBD as an external display but, since my HDTV is already doing the job, I want to know if I can resell it and keep only the TBD.
I'm thinking for exemple about an option to install a tv card on it, or to use a usb tv card, or something like that.
- Asked by Wendy E from Miami
- Jan 5, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to use the thunderbolt display as tv receiver?)
Can a Thunderbolt display switch between two computers?
If a Thunderbolt display is the primary display for a Mac Mini, is it possible for the display to switch to a MacBook Air? Without necessarily pulling the Thunderbolt connection from the Mac Mini? (Extra credit if this means the two machines could share the same USB-connected keyboard and mouse, via the same display?)
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any Thunderbolt console switches yet. I'd prefer never to buy one.
- Asked by Marco N from Moraga
- Nov 21, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a Thunderbolt display switch between two computers?)
What is the longest cable to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Mac Pro?
The standard cable isn't long enough
- Asked by Ben G from Seattle
- Jun 2, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the longest cable to connect a Thunderbolt Display to a Mac Pro?)
Can I connect my PS3 to the thunderbolt display?
What equipment will i need if possible?
- Asked by Bart W
- Mar 16, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect my PS3 to the thunderbolt display?)
Can i connect my iPad to my Apple Thunderbolt Display? Which adapter do I need? I'd like to stream content on my iPad to the thunderbolt display.
What cables/adapters do I need to connect two Thunderbolt Displays to a new Mac Mini? Would like to have dual monitor set up.
- Asked by Dena R from Meridian
- Feb 19, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What cables/adapters do I need to connect two Thunderbolt Displays to a new Mac Mini? Would like to have dual monitor set up.)