Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
668 Questions from the Community
Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?
- Asked by Jason K from New Canaan
- Jun 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?)
There are a lot of "Yes" answers here, but I had no success what so ever trying to extend a Billion router with the Airport Express, so do your research. I think that there will be many brands of equipment that are not compatible.
The Airport extreme will connect with any equipment, but that is not the same as extending the wifi coverage of that equipment. If you need it for streaming music or connecting a printer or other such use cases then it should be fine as it will join the existing network, but using it to extend the coverage of non Apple wifi equipment seems tricky. In my case attempts consistently bricked the Airport Express which then required a hardware reset to bring it back to life.
Extending wifi coverage is a common use case these days with access required throughout the house and I think that Apple's listing for this unit should explicitly detail what will and will not work when you use it to extend wifi coverage of non Apple equipment.
I now have two units which are expensive adapters to make a set of wireless speakers. Not what I really had in mind.
- Answered by Eric B from Ballajura
- Nov 22, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use an AirPort Express to extend my existing wifi signal?)
No, it's a router not a modem. So you'll need internet service with a modem and then it can be used as a router. But there are a lot more uses for this little device.
1. Extend your existing WiFi signal in weak spots of your home.
2. If you are in a hotel with no WiFi but the main lobby, this baby can be hooked up in your room with an ethernet cable and you can create your own wireless network.
3. Use it to play music from your iPhone, iPod, iPad or Macbook wirelessly through your stereo or any speakers. Works really good!
4. Wireless printing.
- Answered by Jesse S from Quartz Hill
- Jul 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the AirPort express work as a internet provider or do I need a internet provider to use the AirPort express?)
does it work with apple TV?
- Asked by Stephen W from Aiea
- Jul 26, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (does it work with apple TV?)
Yes it does. It broadcast internet via ethernet or wireless. So if you use either way, you will be able to retrieve data from airport to apple TV
- Answered by Jake Larrs N from Rochester
- Aug 1, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (does it work with apple TV?)
Can you use this as a separate wifi from your main router so is the airport is running slow will the main router be affected?
Can i connect more than 3 airport express to extend my WiFi signal
Hello. My house have a big terrain, so I have 10 WIFI cameras, and I need to extend the wifi signal so I could connect with a good speed all the cameras. So I'm thinking of connecting for example 4 airport express, and 1 of them will be connected to Internet and the other ones will extend the signal. It could be done and work properly?. How many airport express I could connect?. Thanks!!!
- Asked by Ignacio José T
- Jun 13, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i connect more than 3 airport express to extend my WiFi signal)
can I use airport express as base station?
- Asked by Samuel J from Beacon
- Jun 5, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can I use airport express as base station?)
If you mean as your main router, yes you can.
- Answered by John S from New Orleans
- Jun 11, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use airport express as base station?)
can i send video to apple tv and audio to airport express?
I'm using airplay to play a video to a projector but the audio is located elsewhere, so is it possible to send the video to the projector via apple tv and then the audio to an airport express to come out some PA speakers?
- Asked by Matthew T
- Feb 24, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i send video to apple tv and audio to airport express?)
what is the airport Express for ?
im going to buy an macbook air and i see the airport express so i want to know for what it is it for so i know if need it or not
- Asked by Sandra N from Tampa
- Jul 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the airport Express for ?)
how many devices can be connected to airport express
- Asked by Ashwin J from Frisco
- Jul 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (how many devices can be connected to airport express)
Does the Airport express work with Yosemite 10.3.3?
I am considering purchasing the Airport express so I can wirelessly stream Pandora to my home stereo using the RCA style input jack. Will the Express work with OS X Yosemite version 10.3.3?
- Asked by Bruce C from Scappoose
- Jul 25, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Airport express work with Yosemite 10.3.3?)
How different from linksys Wireless router?
- Asked by Curtis C from Ringoes
- Jul 24, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How different from linksys Wireless router?)
Airplay compatibility with G4 Macs
My WiFi soundsystem has an Airport Extreme base station and an Airport Express node connected to a Bose sound system. I have a Macbook Pro (2014) and an iMac G4 (the "jetsons" with Mac OS 10.4.11) that is hardwired (LAN ethernet) to the base station. Sound system has worked for @ 10 years until I replaced the worn-out Express with a new one last year. The G4 now appears not to have Airplay capability anymore (I can't find it on Airport Utility) and the G4's ITunes (version 9) will not show multiple speaker options.
Can I restore this G4 back to the Airplay WiFi network?
- Asked by Calhoun B from Mebane
- Jul 15, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Airplay compatibility with G4 Macs)
I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem
I have connected my airport extreme to comcast modem, but light remains yellow. What do I need to do.
- Asked by Jerry J from Sugar Land
- Jul 13, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an older airport extreme, can it be hooked to comcast modem)
I had created a network with my airport extreme in one of the rooms in my house, but i want to have wifi signal in all my home.
I want to know if i can extend the wifi signal of that airport extreme with another airport extreme but instead of connecting it wirelessly can i connect it via ethernet?
- Asked by Pablo P from New York
- Jun 29, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I had created a network with my airport extreme in one of the rooms in my house, but i want to have wifi signal in all my home.)
No answers yet
does router come with warranty
Not the one you have to buy
- Asked by Shawn M from Madawaska
- Jun 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (does router come with warranty)
connect airport express to chromecast
I have seen the answer which is yes, how do you do it
- Asked by Aris D from Baltimore
- Jun 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (connect airport express to chromecast)
will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?
- Asked by Alexis F from Philadelphia
- Jun 20, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (will it work for like xbox one / 360 and play station 3 / 4 ?)