I have a black Macbook. It currently has Ubuntu installed on it and does not have OS X. If I buy Snow Leopard will I be able to reinstall OS X?
Need to know if I buy Snow Leopard if I will be able to get it installed on a computer that no longer has OS X. Is this just an upgrade or can it be used to reinstall the entire OS?
1 Answer from the Community
If your MacBook is Intel-based with at least 1GB of memory, you can install Snow Leopard.
Any Snow Leopard retail disk will do a clean install, but you may need to follow some extra steps with the $29 disk since "Erase and Install" may not be automatically present.
When you start up from the install DVD (press "C" during start up), you will have two options: "Utilities" and "Continue".
Select the "Utilities" button (there may be a reboot in order to run from the DVD). In the new screen that appears, under the "Utilities" menu, select Disk Utilities to format your hard drive (or partition) that Snow Leopard is going on to. When you have finished formatting, QUIT from Disk Utilities, and the installer will then complete the installation of Snow Leopard. (Note: be prepared to wait several minutes when the system reboots during installation as it copies and sets up all the files.)
I haven't tried setting up separate boot partitions for Ubuntu and Snow Leopard, but I normally keep several boot partitions with different versions of the Mac OS in case I have an app that needs an older OS. (Simply press "option" during startup to switch boot partitions.)
- Answered by Ewald W from Vancouve
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will I be able to connect AirPort Extreme to my 2008 MacBook?
- Asked by Karissa G from Boise
- Flag as inappropriate (Will I be able to connect AirPort Extreme to my 2008 MacBook?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Can I skip upgrading to OS X Lion and go straight to Mavericks? I currently have Snow Leopard and my Garmin will not update with our current version.
- Asked by Nancy C from Newport News
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I skip upgrading to OS X Lion and go straight to Mavericks? I currently have Snow Leopard and my Garmin will not update with our current version.)
- Asked about: OS X Lion (10.7)
Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?
- Asked by Samuel E
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express with Mac OS X Server's RADIUS server?)
- Asked about: AirPort Express