Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?
I have purchased a Thunderbolt NAS drive from Apple recently and also have a Thunderbolt enabled Macbook Air.
My question is that if I purchase then new Display, can I connect the NAS through the Thunderbolt port on the back of the Display?
I know this is the case for USB but does it work for Thunderbolt connected drives as well?
1 Answer from the Community
Currently there is no such product as a Thunderbolt NAS drive. Thunderbolt HDD, yes. When you connect a Thunderbolt drive to the Thunderbolt Display (or directly to a Thunderbolt computer) the drive could be shared on the network. The computer must be present, the Thunderbolt display can not provide this service without the computer. The display provides you all the ports (no adapters required) plus a audio system and provides power for a MacBook.
I have a MacBook Air connected to the Thunderbolt Display with several Seagate Thunderbolt drives connected to the display Thunderbolt port. The beauty of the Thunderbolt Display is that it becomes the hub of your desk to hook cables to. Just one cable connects to a MacBook and that supplies the power too. No adapters are needed for a MacBook Air to make Firewire 800 and Ethernet and additional (3) USB connections. If you need additional USB ports beyond the three on the display, you may plug a powered USB hub into the display.
And, yes, the MacBook will work in a cover closed mode when attached to the display, if you wish.
The Thunderbolt Display will also connect to a Thunderbolt equipped iMac for use as a second display.
- Answered by James H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can this be used to connect a Thunderbolt External HDD to a Gigabit Ethernet Network? Thanks Much!
- Asked by Brian M from Goodyear
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect a Thunderbolt External HDD to a Gigabit Ethernet Network? Thanks Much!)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…
Does this work with the new Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Jonathan M from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with the new Thunderbolt Display?)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI A…
Can this be used to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt display?
- Asked by Daniel A from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt display?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter