Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter
167 Questions from the Community
I am seeking adapter recommendations for connecting a macbook pro (retina 13-inch mid 2014) to a midi keyboard
(Midi) Adapter Recommendations
- Asked by Megan O from Naperville
- Flag as inappropriate (I am seeking adapter recommendations for connecting a macbook pro (retina 13-inch mid 2014) to a midi keyboard)
What cable I need to connect Mac mini to a display with DVI connection
- Asked by Gabor B from Victorville
- Flag as inappropriate (What cable I need to connect Mac mini to a display with DVI connection)
can i connect macbook pro to two monitors
display on macbook pro
- Asked by Greg B
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect macbook pro to two monitors)
If you have a MacBook Pro with Retina display you can use the HDMI cable or the Mini Displayport to connect one monitor and use the Thunderbolt to VGHA connector to connect a second monitor. This setup allows you to mirror three screens OR use them all independently (you will get higher res if you use the DisplayPort connector to connect to a high-def monitor).
- Answered by Nigel F from Duxbury
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i connect macbook pro to two monitors)
Whenever I ask for information for a mini-dvi to dual-link dvi adapter, I only get information for the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapter.
I need to adapt my 2007 IMac with a mini-dvi port to a dual-link dvi cable. Is this not available for this port?
- Asked by Charles J from Nacogdoches
- Flag as inappropriate (Whenever I ask for information for a mini-dvi to dual-link dvi adapter, I only get information for the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-link DVI adapter.)
No answers yet
How can I use the Mac Mini with two monitors?
- Asked by Gustavo & Ceci R from Mississauga
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I use the Mac Mini with two monitors?)
I do not own a mac mini but I have seen this done many times in retail stores that want to show off the versatility of such a small desktop. The mac mini has two video outputs: a mini-display port and a mini-DVI port. The mini-display port is the same one you find on the current generation macbook, macbook pros (as well as the Mac Pro) and the Mini-DVI is the same as the on the old black/white macbook. I do not know why apple decided to go with two different adapter types but it works just the same as you will need two separate adapters to use two displays anyway. From there, you just buy two "dongles" (display adapters) which hook up to your respective screen input jacks (VGA or DVI) and you're set!
- Answered by Ben S from Golden
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can I use the Mac Mini with two monitors?)
Yes, that should work. With the higher resolution, the 30-inch display would require the dual-link adapter that you specified. Interestingly, the relatively new Thunderbolt ports also double as Mini DisplayPort connectors, so that adapter should work like magic.
- Answered by Stephen K from Provo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter work to connect a Mac mini to a 30" Cinema Display?)
Will this cable adapter allow me to connect my late 2008 Macbook Pro, 15inch, to an Asus PB278Q 27inch monitor? Flawlessly?
I am trying to upgrade my monitor, coming from an ages old 21inch Acer.
- Asked by Andrej V from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable adapter allow me to connect my late 2008 Macbook Pro, 15inch, to an Asus PB278Q 27inch monitor? Flawlessly?)
How can I watch a movie from my iPad on my tv
I want to watch a movie I down loaded on my iPad threw my tv
- Asked by Sandy R from Sharptown
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I watch a movie from my iPad on my tv)
Yes. There are two choices:
1) As the first poster noted, get an AppleTV. Most versatile choice and lets you display certain output like Video , pictures on the TV as well as play music from the iPad. A nice solution.
2) A cheaper solution is to get the Apple Composite AV Cable (MC748ZM)
Note that not all apps are built to support output from the iPad to the TV, but those games that do support it are awesome!
- Answered by Aleck C from Bowie
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How can I watch a movie from my iPad on my tv)
Is there a way to connect two Mac's to one monitor?
I have a Mac Mini server and a 17" MacBook Pro and would like to connect both to my 24" Mac Display. Both have the mini display port. Is there a switcher available to do this?
- Asked by Terry T from Ingleside
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a way to connect two Mac's to one monitor?)
Yes, a KVM switch allows you to use the same keyboard, mouse and monitor for multiple computers. I have used the 4way IOGEAR KVM for years, and it's great (looks like a thinner mac mini) for my Mac Mini, MacBook Pro and Dell Latitude and switch between. When I want to watch CSI on the MacMini and also work on the Dell, I use Remote Desktop to put the dell screen on part of my 24" Acer monitor, same for the MBP, using CVNC (Chicken of the VNC). Bang, there, you go! Note - You may only have two now - but get the 4 way, in case you have a "visitor" or want to add another.
BTW: my gear= IOGEAR 4 way KVM GCS634U, Apple kbd, Acer 24" monitor, Logitech two button scroll mouse. The Mac Mini and the Dell do a great job of auto recognising the kvm monitor. The MacBook Pro does not, and needs to have a prefs visit to "detect displays" on every boot.
Hope this helps -
- Answered by John G from Richmond
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there a way to connect two Mac's to one monitor?)
Will a Mini DisplayPort connector on a Dual-Link DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter plug into a thunderbolt port on the new cylindrical Mac Pro and work?
I have two 30" Apple monitors that have DVI connectors. I want to buy a new MacPro, but use my two old 30" monitors. I'm trying to find a solution for this since the Mac Pro doesn't have DVI connections.Answer
Yes. That is how I use it: Mac Pro cylinder connected to the old 30" cinema display.
How can i add three monitors to my iMac?
My brother gave me two of his monitors and I already have extra monitor that i use with my imac. I dont want to sell the extra 2 monitors i got. How can i connect the extra 2 monitors to my imac?
- Asked by Michael M from Colorado Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (How can i add three monitors to my iMac?)
Cable to connect macbook to stereo
I would like to connect my mac book to my hi-fi/stereo so that i can play i-tunes through the hi-fi/stereo speakers.
On my stereo i have a digital optical in or phone -in
- Asked by Sally H from London
- Flag as inappropriate (Cable to connect macbook to stereo)
If you have a decent stereo receiver, and considering that you have digital optical input, you do, the digital input will give you the best quality. You will need to buy a toslink to mini cable. A quick search for toslink to mini toslink will find you one.
Both the headphone jack on your macbook and the line out on an airport express double as digital optical outputs. If you have your computer set up next to the stereo you can just plug it in from the headphone jack to your digital optical input. Otherwise, if you want a wireless connection, you can buy an airport express, which basically sets itself up for mac, either as a new wireless network or an access point on an existing network. You can plug this unit in next to your stereo and run the toslink cable from the output of the airport express to your digital optical input.
Please don't connect anything to your phono input other than a record player. If you do, you risk damage to your system.
- Answered by Joseph A from Fort Collins
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Cable to connect macbook to stereo)
Can I connect a mac air with an extra monitor as well as ethernet ?
I bought one thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter and one Mini Display Port to DVI adapter. But there is only one thunderbolt on Mac Air. How can I connect an extra monitor as well as Ethernet?
- Asked by Tsz Yu O
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect a mac air with an extra monitor as well as ethernet ?)
USB to Ethernet adapter is my cheaper solution than a Thuderbolt dock.
- Answered by Stasa M from Bloomington
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I connect a mac air with an extra monitor as well as ethernet ?)
Is it possible to link 2 extra monitors to my macbook pro? One monitor is VGA and the other is DVI and I would like to connect them both.
I bought a splitter cable that splits the dvi signal into two outputs -one VGA and one DVI output but only one of the connected monitors pick up the signal when they are both plugged in, the other one says no signal and then goes to sleep.Best Answer:
to connect two displays to your macbook pro you'll need something like a matrox dualhead2go (google it). be careful which one you get, if you have the macbook pro with a dvi out then you'll need the Digital Edition, if you have a the model with the mini displayport you'll need the DP edition. cablewise for the DP edition you'll need a mini displayport to displayport, and two displayport to [your monitor's connection]. the digital edition has a dvi input and 2x dvi outputs.
- Answered by Michael N from Norman
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it possible to link 2 extra monitors to my macbook pro? One monitor is VGA and the other is DVI and I would like to connect them both.)
Does this adapter support Windows 8 bootcamp with a Dell 30" display on a 2013 MBP w/retina?
I've seen some answers that show the display would be supported in MacOS, just wondering if bootcamp is supported.
- Asked by Scott M from Redmond
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support Windows 8 bootcamp with a Dell 30" display on a 2013 MBP w/retina?)