Questions & Answers for Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter
255 Questions from the Community
Will the 30 pin adapter work with iPad 2 running iOS 9
- Asked by Sara K from Kinston
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 30 pin adapter work with iPad 2 running iOS 9)
md098zm/a compatability. Will this work with ipod touch 5th gen.
Plugged it in and it says its not supported by this device. Trying to output to hdmi.
- Asked by Peter R from Lansing
- Flag as inappropriate (md098zm/a compatability. Will this work with ipod touch 5th gen.)
What is a dongle?
I see people asking if they could use a "dongle" with an iPad or iPad 2 WiFi (which I have). I did not understand the conversations, but I would like to know what is a dongle and if it might be of interest for me for my iPad 2.
- Asked by Judy R from Bronx
- Flag as inappropriate (What is a dongle?)
Can I use a dongle on my iPad
- Answered by Deborah C
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is a dongle?)
If I use an apple digital AV adapter to transfer what I watch from my ipad to TV will the sound also transfer through the tv
I have a 40" smart TV and I also have an i-pad 2nd generation that has some movie apps that I would like to transfer to the bigger screen on my TV. I know that I could use the apple tv system,but since I already have netflix,amazon, and etc., I wonder could I just use the apple digital AV adapter and get quality sound through the tv or would it still come through the I-pad. I really enjoy my I-pad,but being 64 years young,sometimes I need the help of the bigger screen.
- Asked by Nokomis P from Smyrna
- Flag as inappropriate (If I use an apple digital AV adapter to transfer what I watch from my ipad to TV will the sound also transfer through the tv)
- Asked about: iPad
i want to mirror my iphone 4s onto the tv, i purchased hdmi cable and 30 pin / usb dock cable but nothing happens. do the cables need to be apple
do the cables need to be apple
Is it possible to run other accessories from the second 30 pin connector port on this adapter?
I recently purchased this adapter for use with my iPad too and I would like to know if it is possible to use a second accessory from the charging port(I.e the apple camera connection kit) and still be able to display Hdmi at the same time.
- Asked by Grayson D from Kingsport
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it possible to run other accessories from the second 30 pin connector port on this adapter?)
WIll this work on iPad 3rd gen running ios 8?
I don't want to buy another adapter and then wasting money because it dont work...
- Asked by Grzegorz M
- Flag as inappropriate (WIll this work on iPad 3rd gen running ios 8?)
Does the hdmi av adapter work with sky go
- Asked by Damian S
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the hdmi av adapter work with sky go)
Nope, Sky say "we don't support TV out on iOS or Android devices so I'm afraid it won't work."
- Answered by Nik P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does the hdmi av adapter work with sky go)
Will this cable help me to connect my iPad 2 to my Bose iPod dock speakers(classic). I'm looking for an extension cable which can connect to my iPad
I want to connect my Bose speakers(for iPod & iPhone) to my iPad but I cannot do it since the iPad does not fit in the stand do I'm looking for a cable which can solve my issue(30 pin to 30 pin connector) will this cable solve my problem ?Best Answer:
No. You need 30-pin extension cord. This will have a connector that plugs in to the bottom of your iPad on one end and a 30-pin socket (female counterpart) on the other end that will connect to the Bose dock. These are available online at various websites.
Is it possible to watch live tv via the digital av adapter connected to my television with the hdmi cable?.
I have connected my Iphone4 to my television with the apple AV adapter and a HDMI cable and want to watch live TV from my Film on App?. I can play videos from my Iphone without a problem but when I try to watch live TV from Film on I get the sound but no Picture.Best Answer:
This is up to the app developers if they include or exclude video out on their app. Try an alternative, I personally use the TVCatchUp app which does allow for TV Out.
Hope this helps.
- Answered by Marc W from Borehamwood
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is it possible to watch live tv via the digital av adapter connected to my television with the hdmi cable?.)
No, the lightning to 30-pin adapter only supports charging and audio, but not video. I'm sorry to say that you will need to purchase Apple's overpriced lightning digital av adapter for $49. You can find it at most stores. I would consider looking into an Apple TV. It is $99 and you can wirelessly stream video and audio from any apple device. You can find it in most stores.
- Answered by Evan S from Shelby Township
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use Lightning to 30‑pin Adapter on the Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter to connect my iPad mini ?)
No because the ipad air has a lightning connector port so you need to get the lightning av adapter.
- Answered by Cameron F
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does apple 30-pin digital av adapter work with iPad air?)
Use Composite AV cable and Digital AV Adapter cords together to get surround sound as well as 720p video quality?
So I was looking at purchasing the Digital AV Adapter that Apple provides in their store, so that I could connect myriad to my flat screen via HDMI to play movies in 720p (the max the cord apparently allows). I know that HDMI carries video as well as audio through so I would be able to play the movie audio though the TV itself... This is not what I want.
I want to play the audio through my surround sound system and I thought maybe combining the Composite AV cable also supplied by Apple would work? Has anyone tried this yet? There is a second 30-pin connection available on the Digital AV Adapter for charging the iPad and I thought maybe the Composite AV cord could connect to that and then directly to the surround sound just for the audio?
- Asked by Colin M from Woodstock
- Flag as inappropriate (Use Composite AV cable and Digital AV Adapter cords together to get surround sound as well as 720p video quality?)
I tried it thinking that this would offer a solution to my video/audio problems. I get the video, but still no audio. The composite av cables have great audio alone but the sound vanishes when plugged into the digital av adapter.
- Answered by Andrea C from Park River
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Use Composite AV cable and Digital AV Adapter cords together to get surround sound as well as 720p video quality?)
What exactly does this do and not do?
In the description it says that this adapter:
"mirrors whatever’s on your iPad or iPhone 4S screen".
Then a little further down it states that you can:
"Watch slideshows and films on the big screen in up to 720p by connecting your iPad, iPhone 4 or iPod touch (4th generation)."
But then over to the side there is a footnote that states:
"* Video mirroring is available with iPad 2 or later and iPhone 4S."
So what is the difference?
Also it states:
"The Apple Digital AV Adapter routes digital audio to screens that support it."
How do I know if my screen supports it?
I have an iPhone 4 and have ordered a "New" iPad. So I would like a few more specifics so that I know what I can expect it to do for each.
- Asked by Juanita L from Cape Coral
- Flag as inappropriate (What exactly does this do and not do?)
This adapter exports audio/video through HDMI.
For the iPhone 4S, the iPad 2 and the "new" iPad, virtually everything can be mirrored to another display. This means it will display exactly what you see on both the iPad/iPhone and the monitor.
For the iPhone 4 and the 1st generation iPad, it will not mirror the screen (the processor isn't equipped for multiple display outputs.)
All of these devices will allow you to watch videos/pictures/slideshows on your tv using the adapter.
If the display device you are hooking it up to accepts audio through hdmi, then the audio will also be sent. Some older stereo receivers only pass through video (especially older Onkyo receivers) via hdmi.
- Answered by William B from Babylon
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What exactly does this do and not do?)
To connect this to your TV do you need a specific HDMI cable or will any one work?
I looked at a website selling HDMI cables earlier, which had loads of different ones, ranging in price, but I don't know the difference between them and whether the difference will affect the compatibility of using it with this product...
- Asked by Jade M
- Flag as inappropriate (To connect this to your TV do you need a specific HDMI cable or will any one work?)
You dont need a specific HDMI cable.
Any one will work.
- Answered by Leoncio C from Brasilia
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (To connect this to your TV do you need a specific HDMI cable or will any one work?)
Does this cable work with the new iSO?
My 3rd party cable stopped working with the new iSO update, so I'm wondering if this cable with work. Thanks!
- Asked by Laura D from Fairview
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this cable work with the new iSO?)
Will an HDMI extension cable with Ethernet work with the Digital AV adapter?
- Asked by John C from Dammeron Valley
- Flag as inappropriate (Will an HDMI extension cable with Ethernet work with the Digital AV adapter?)
Will this adapter work with 5th generation ipod
Have a new tv and his is the only way to connect my iPod to the tv to play movies without dismantling it
- Asked by Christopher W from Arlington
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter work with 5th generation ipod)
On the box, the iPod 4th Gen is the only iPod named as compatible. Since I have an iPod 5th Gen, I had to verify this for myself. and, yes, It would not work. Ditto with my new 160 GB iPod classic. My iPad 3rd Gen, however, worked just fine and, yes, it was listed as compatible on the box.
This is really a pain in the a** that Apple does not make a digital AV adapter for its latest iPod and iPhone products, I eventually found the iPure i20 which does the job for $129. The only thing is that it's not portable, so scratch the possibility of having a really clean audio source for your portable power amp.
- Answered by Jerald L from Sunnyvale
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this adapter work with 5th generation ipod)