Turn your words into action
With the Livescribe 3 smartpen and the free Livescribe+ app, you can simply write on Livescribe dot paper and watch the text instantly appear on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch where it becomes truly useful.
Livescribe 3 smartpen
The Livescribe 3 smartpen delivers a smooth, elegant writing experience while the integrated IR camera is simultaneously capturing everything you write or draw on Livescribe dot paper. When connected to your compatible iOS device the Livescribe 3 sends all your content to the Livescribe+ app. Don't have your iPad or iPhone with you? No problem. When powered on the Livescribe 3 smartpen still captures every note or drawing. Later, when connected to your iOS device, it transfers all of that information to the Livescribe+ app.
Bluetooth Smart—longer battery life, faster pairing
Livescribe 3 smartpen uses Bluetooth Smart technology to pair with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, supporting more than 14 hours of continuous use between charges. It also makes pairing much easier—just turn on the Livescribe 3 from its twist ring and accept the pairing request on your iOS device with a single tap. After that your smartpen will connect automatically each time you launch the app from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
Pencasts make sure you never miss a word
Using the built-in mic on your iOS device, the smartpen can easily add recorded audio that's synced with your handwriting. Relive important moments with just a tap on any word to hear what was recorded at the moment you wrote that word.
Livescribe+ app for iOS
Designed to make your notes more useful, more quickly, Livescribe+ is the companion app to the Livescribe 3 smartpen. Livescribe+ makes it easy to integrate your notes with the rest of your mobile life, with just a few taps of your finger: tag, search, organize, and share notes.
Convert handwriting to text with a simple swipe, or create reminders, appointments, and contacts directly from your handwritten notes. You can even insert photos and typed memos directly into Livescribe+ to add richness and depth to your notes.
When it comes time to share, Livescribe+ and a single tap lets you share PDFs of your notes, pictures, and pencasts through Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Evernote, Dropbox, and more.
- Pair directly to your Bluetooth Smart ready iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch
- Delivers a premium writing experience on paper and an integrated stylus
- Works with your iOS device to record and play back audio synced to your notes
- Integrated with the Livescribe+ app to transform your notes into useful content
- Convert handwriting to text with a swipe of your finger
- Create reminders, appointments, and contacts directly from handwritten notes
- Share PDFs of your handwritten notes through Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Evernote, Dropbox, and more
- Pro Edition includes a free one-year subscription to Evernote Premium and a leather smartpen portfolio
Did you notice?The smartpen can simultaneously record audio, so you can hear the words you've transcribed.
Apple Recommends ForCapture writing and drawings on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch with the Livescribe smartpen and Livescribe+ app.
What's in the Box?
- Livescribe 3 smartpen Pro Edition
- Dot Paper journal (100 sheets)
- Leather smartpen portfolio
- One-year free Evernote Premium
- Livescribe+ companion app for iOS (free download)
- Micro USB cable
- Width: 0.59 in./1.49 cm
- Weight: 1.2 oz./34 g
- Length: 6.38 in./16.2 cm
- iOS 7 or later
- Mfr. Part Number: APX-00017
- UPC or EAN No.: 816108010427
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year on all parts and labor
- Requires Livescribe dot paper (100 sheets included)
Note: Livescribe+ is designed to be used in conjunction with Livescribe 3 smartpens.
Livescribe+ pairs with your Livescribe 3 smartpen to instantly sync everything you write on paper directly onto your iPhone or iPad. Your notes become more useful, more quickly when they’re organized, tagged, searchable and converted to text.
Notes, sketches, diagrams and drawings created with your Livescribe 3 smartpen show up instantly in Livescribe+.
Access your notes in 3 different views to get more out of them: (1) Page View shows your notebooks and pages exactly as they were written. (2) Feed View organizes your notes into smaller, actionable snippets sorted in a timeline. (3) Pencast View allows you to play back audio recordings synced to your notes so you can hear what was said exactly when you were writing.
Convert your handwritten notes into text to transform them into tasks, reminders, calendar events, new contacts and more. All with a few taps of your finger.
Create pencasts and add photos and typed memos directly in Livescribe+ to add more depth and context to your written notes.
Tag your notes in Feed view to create Collections that sort all your tagged content together.
Share PDF’s of your notes, pictures and pencasts through Mail, Messages, AirDrop, Evernote, Dropbox and more.
Livescribe 3 smartpens are compatible with iPhone 4S or newer, iPad 3rd Gen or newer, iPad mini or newer, iPod touch 5th Gen or newer.
Need help or want to discover more? Visit www.livescribe.com/Livescribe3. …
Ratings & Reviews
Lots of Potential
I am currently rating this product as 2 out of 5 with the possibility of being upgraded or downgraded depending on how Livescribe I am currently rating this product as 2 out of 5 with the possibility of being upgraded or downgraded depending on how Livescribe Support responds to my support request (2/5/14).
Cons and Issues:
1. This pen has fewer features than older versions. Specifically, it cannot make use of the customizable preset buttons on the top of dot paper and has no connectivity to a desktop. Further, there is no ability to backup or transfer audio and text notes to iCloud in iOS. I think this is an attempt to get customers to continue as Evernote (their partner) Premium Members after their first year, which is included.
2. In one week of ownership there have been half a dozen times where the left portion of a page is cut off, making text recognition useless as well as the PDF-scan version of handwritten notes. So far, the issue resolves itself (meaning what you wrote is still cut off, but future notes will work fine) after restarting the pen, application, and iPhone.
3. Older versions/models of the pen have many more options regarding ink cartridge replacements (i.e. color and point size). Black and blue ink with a medium point are the only options for this pen; older pens have black, blue, and red options in medium and fine points.
1. I enjoy writing by hand and also enjoy having audio notes. OS X apps I have used that link audio with text always have my typing in the audio, which is annoying. Older versions/models of the pen have a lower quality built-in mic that records your handwriting. This version/model uses the mic in your iPhone or iPad and therefore you get clean audio while also being able to take notes during the lecture/meeting.
2. This model/version is very nicely integrated into iOS. They just need to work out the bugs and add OS X integration.
3. It has a lot of potential. If Livescribe is able to produce the product I thought I was buying (the product they advertise) this will be a definite 5 star product and I will update the review accordingly. …
- Written by Michael R from Asheville
113 of 125 people found this useful
works great but you have to be diligent about using it
Ive had the Livescribe 3 since Jan 2014. I use if for work as well as school. It is the best way to take notes for an iPad. I nev Ive had the Livescribe 3 since Jan 2014. I use if for work as well as school. It is the best way to take notes for an iPad. I never found any app that allowed you accurately and quickly write , transcribe and store notes. This does it.
A few things or bits of info
you CAN print extra paper. But its better you just buy it. our $10,000 copier at work still can't print the paper so i gave up
It works. It is really amazing how you write on the paper and voila! it transposes it to your iPad. then you 'swipe' and it converts it to text.
The 'pen cast' is great. Good for those long meetings or classes .
You have to be diligent about using this. I have some nice pens.. but decided to stick with this. Which means it is your only work pen. buy a few spare inks too.
You can sync and archive your books. easy to store and keep track of.
Evernote... the jury is out on this. Ive been trying to like evernote, but its too clunky. I find Evernote a rainbow of information thrown against a wall.. Put another way Evernote does too much and if you don't use it i wouldn't bother.
Would like the pen to link to OneNote. Most businesses have MS products so would be nice to have this feature.
The bottom line? great for taking notes, storing things and archiving. I hope the product lasts and gets some more $$ thrown at it. If the adoption rate rises then this will certainly help the cause! …
- Written by David G from Etobicoke
71 of 77 people found this useful
Livescribe smart pen 3
I've been using my new pen for about a month now and it does everything I need it to do, organizing and reviewing notes. Am starti I've been using my new pen for about a month now and it does everything I need it to do, organizing and reviewing notes. Am starting to use the recorded audio feature. …
- Written by Terry H from Onalaska
42 of 62 people found this useful
Should have bought a store where I could return
Bought pen soley for capturing lecture and note taking in an intermediate accounting class. While in class, pen Disappointed...
Bought pen soley for capturing lecture and note taking in an intermediate accounting class. While in class, pen and tablet are charged, pen/tablet led are red - indicate recording. Get home and try to listen to lecture, but Livescribe app gives me an error. "An error occured while attempting to open this pencast" WHAT!!!!! This is the 3rd time. Tablet notes are in green- which mean recorded.
I have noticed that after two months of lecture and notetaking that the app is slow and sometimes unresponsive. Yes, I have enough memory on my iPad.
Spent $200+ on the whole livescribe setup only to be falsely led. I need my class lecture recorded. What I should have done was dowloaded for FREE a recording app and saved the $200+.
Livescribe do you know who frustrating and highly irritating this is? To find out that I have missed out on over 4 hours of lectures - lost time. I spent the money and was dependent upon this and expected more. To find out that once I get home that I can't listen to the lecture, but while in class the pen/tablet both show that lecture was recorded.
Should have bought pen somewhere I could return it so I could get my money back. Do not buy at a campus bookstore. …
- Written by Jennifer S from Decatur
2 of 2 people found this useful
College Students: Here's a life-changing investment I think necessary
I never thought something as simple (ironically) as a pen would change my educational career. At the beginning of my freshman year I never thought something as simple (ironically) as a pen would change my educational career. At the beginning of my freshman year at the university I attend, I struggled. Especially in my chem and bio class.
I saw the Livescribe 3 Smartpen ad and was in awe and I was hooked. Once I received it, my life changed. My study habits improved 5x more and studying became much more efficient and easy. I was able to take my usual notes and record my professor's lectures. Not only write and record, but was able to go to a specific note and listen to what my professor said at that specific time.
Long story short, my c's turned into A's (seriously scored 4 100's out of 5 exams in zoology).
It is a bit pricy and has some flaws with the app and should be updated to show pdf's and pencasts on desktop, but that is all easily overlooked for its great quality, convenience, and functionality (especially when synced with OneNote or Evernote).
I highly recommend it for a college (or any) student who needs improved study habits to purchase this pen!!!! …
- Written by Auguste R from Laredo
4 of 7 people found this useful
I love this Pen!
I was excited to try the LiveScribe 3, but hesitant to buy it after reading a few negative reviews. For my purpose, as a graduate I was excited to try the LiveScribe 3, but hesitant to buy it after reading a few negative reviews. For my purpose, as a graduate student and teacher, it is AWESOME. I have had the pen since boxing day and so far I am very impressed. I love this pen! …
- Written by Rebecca W from Ladysmith
1 of 3 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
How do I set the time and date? It's January 2015, and it's showing March 2018
- Asked by Winsome J from Ossining
- Jan 4, 2015
Can it convert audio recordings to text? If not, can I purchase an App that can do this?
- Asked by Sarah V
- Feb 25, 2015
can the livescribe 3 communicate or save to microsoft office, note or another format on my windows computer
- Asked by Randy A from Menifee
- Oct 10, 2014
Not at this time (Dec 2014). You'll need to use the Sky or Echo series
- Answered by Jahan S from Glen Huntly
- Dec 18, 2014
What is the difference between this pro edition and the other live scribe 3 smartpen that is $150?
- Asked by Andrew B from Ririe
- Dec 30, 2013
1 Year Evernote Premium Membership ($45.00 value)
Leather Smartpen Portfolio (24.95 value)
100 pag 1 Year Evernote Premium Membership ($45.00 value)
Leather Smartpen Portfolio (24.95 value)
100 page notebook (standard package comes with 50 page notebook)
Maybe a little over $70 worth of stuff for $50 extra ($20 in savings, if you need Evernote Premium) …
- Answered by Michael R from Asheville
- Feb 5, 2014
Will this work with a mac the same was as with IOS devices?
- Asked by Kolding L from Nanaimo
- Mar 7, 2014
No this pen will only work with IOS devices not to the mac
- Answered by Andrew W
- May 23, 2014
It will digitise your drawing or sketch and you can get this as a PDF but will not turn this in to a It will digitise your drawing or sketch and you can get this as a PDF but will not turn this in to a Cad file. …
- Answered by Andrew W
- May 23, 2014