Can I Airplay Dolby 5.1 from Apple TV to my Airport Express connected to a 5.1 reciever?
- Asked by Neal B from Grantham
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I Airplay Dolby 5.1 from Apple TV to my Airport Express connected to a 5.1 reciever?)
2 Answers from the Community
This is exactly what I want to do. I don't think it's possible. You can now set the Apple TV to send sound output to one or more sets of Airplay speakers - that would include speakers (or an AV receiver) connected to an Airport Express via a toslink cable. HOWEVER, the Apple TV will only stream stereo (2 channel) in this way. So, fine if you want to use the Apple TV to navigate your iTunes collection and stream music to the receiver, but useless for wirelessly streaming the 5.1 audio from movies or TV shows you are watching on Apple TV. If someone knows differently I'd love to hear about it. Hopefully Apple will update at some point and include this functionality.
- Answered by Euan R from Brooklyn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
AirPlay is redirecting output from a device to a different output device. Apple TV is an output device that receives the signal. That I am aware of, you can't use AirPlay to send content FROM the Apple TV.
- Answered by Thomas S from Bartlett
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I plug the Apple TV into my main Denon receiver that I route everything else through so I can get full 5.1 and Dolby etc.
- Asked by Roc B from Delta
- Jan 3, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug the Apple TV into my main Denon receiver that I route everything else through so I can get full 5.1 and Dolby etc.)
will 5.1 surround work with apple tv streaming
- Asked by Charles G from Tampa
- Jun 28, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (will 5.1 surround work with apple tv streaming)
No answers yet