Similar questions from the community
Backup and Restore or Airport Time Capsule
I'm conscious of only having one backup of my valuable files. I am thinking to use the Airport Time Capsule as my primary network storage location as well as a backup location for my Macs, but don't want to lose everything if it's HDD fails.
Can you backup the Airport Time Capsule (ATC) to an external USB HDD/SSD and can this be scheduled? How?
Can you recover the ATC from the external USB HDD/SSD if the internal ATC drive fails? How?
- Asked by Beau F from Mudgeeraba
- Mar 23, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Backup and Restore or Airport Time Capsule)
What type of hard drive is in AirPort Time Capsule, i.e. is it just a retail type HDD or is it "enterprise" standard that can withstand 24/7 uptime?
Can the HDD within the unit withstand virtually permanent uptime as would be associated with a router. Enterprise quality drives should be able to cope but from experience, non-enterprise HDDs are not designed to be on 24/7. Non-enterprise would be found in laptops, for example – which are not expected to be live 24/7.
How quiet is the time capsule?
Is the Time Capsule quiet enough to use in a bedroom? I know the hard drive will spin if a back up is going on, which is fine. But I'm wondering how loud the fan is when the hard drive is not spinning and no backups are happening?
- Asked by Tristan T from Richmond
- Jun 25, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (How quiet is the time capsule?)
Can the time capsule HD be partitioned
Can I partition the time capsule hard drive so I can use one partition for time machine backups and another for separate data storage?
- Asked by Neil S
- Jun 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the time capsule HD be partitioned)
Can I add a USB drive to Time Capsule and use the combined capacity (of the Time Capsule drive and the attached drive) to backup with Time Machine
can i connect external HDD(seagate-2TB) to the Airport Time Capsule
- Asked by Vinay Krishna A from Hyderabad
- Jun 18, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect external HDD(seagate-2TB) to the Airport Time Capsule)
Will The Time Capsule drop connection to my external drive?
Currently my Airport Extreme drops it all the time, apparently when the drive doesn't spin after time. Anyone experience any issues with this?
- Asked by Troy S from Seattle
- Nov 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will The Time Capsule drop connection to my external drive?)
Can AirPort Time Capsule be used as an external hard drive?
Can i save my data on it? Because i don't have enough space on Macbook.
- Asked by Benjamin O
- Aug 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Time Capsule be used as an external hard drive?)
Will time capsule back up an external drive connected to my mac?
- Asked by Michael L from Edmond
- Jun 30, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will time capsule back up an external drive connected to my mac?)
Can a time capsule be used as a boot drive, if the drive in the MacPro fails?
I need to know if Time Machine used in conjunction with a time capsule can be used as a boot drive if the mac pro it is being used to backup has a drive failure?
Or do I need to have a bootable backup on an external drive (besides the Time Capsule)?
- Asked by John H from Juneau
- Jan 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a time capsule be used as a boot drive, if the drive in the MacPro fails?)
Can I backup the AirPort Time Capsule hard drive to an external drive?
I currently backup an iMac and a Macbook Pro to an AirPort Time Capsule using Time Machine. I want to make a monthly backup for offsite storage. Can I simply backup the Time Capsule hard drive every month to an external hard drive to accomplish this?
- Asked by Albert L from Murphy
- Mar 17, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I backup the AirPort Time Capsule hard drive to an external drive?)
can i connect the Airport Extreme Time Capsule to my old Time Capsule?
I am wondering if my old 1TB Time capsule can be connected as an additional drive to the new 2TB Airport Extreme Time Capsule.
- Asked by Carlos F from Portage
- Oct 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect the Airport Extreme Time Capsule to my old Time Capsule?)
Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?
I have an iMac with a 1TB fusion Drive and a Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD. I want to use the Time Capsule to back up my iMac and i want to use an external drive connected to the time capsule to back up my macbook air using time machine.
- Asked by Corin G
- Jul 22, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
I would like to use two time capsules as wireless hard drives only. Can I transfer the same data to two time capsules at the same time? (Raid System)?
- Asked by Mark L from Belle Isle
- Dec 9, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (I would like to use two time capsules as wireless hard drives only. Can I transfer the same data to two time capsules at the same time? (Raid System)?)
Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries
I have a macbook and macbook pro which are both used independently. I would like to use a time capsule to store files and iTunes and iPhoto libraries. What I am looking to achieve is to be able to stream wirelessly my files between either of the computers and access iTunes and iPhoto from either machine. The majority of hard drive space would then be freed up on both machines and for no loss of service. I would think that playlists and albums would be unaffected by this change. Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks
- Asked by Alan T
- Nov 26, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use time capsule for iTunes and iPhoto libraries)
Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?
Would like to explore connecting a USB-drive-enclosure and/or an Ethernet-drive-enclosure to allow more backup space to be available to users on my home network. Even if this would supercede the internal drive, I would find it preferable to other options like SLUG or FreeNAS which can be cheaper but potentially less-reliable.
For example, an Ethernet-capable NAS of, say, 10TB could be connected to one of the Gigabit ports, but would the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) recognize it as an extension of the internal storage, and therefore part of the Time Capsule storage media used for native Mac backups?
If there's not a way to do that, how arduous or risky is it to move the existing backups from the Time Capsule's internal drive to an external drive (ex: Ethernet-connected NAS) to free-up space on the 2TB/3TB internal drive, without corrupting the contents of that internal drive? Is there a way to initiate the move from within the Time Capsule itself, and thereby avoiding downloading/uploading all of that content over-the-network (to/from the PC) unnecessarily?
- Asked by Harlan H from Mequon
- Jun 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the AirPort Time Capsule (2013) allow USB or Ethernet-connected drive to be used as part of the Time Capsule functionality?)
Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?
I would like to connect a hard drive to the USB port of my AirPort Time Capsule for the purpose of providing a universal drive for movies and files shared by all computers on my wireless network. I am curious - can you select the drive plugged into the Time Capsule USB port to also be backed up by the Time Capsule itself? The reason I would want to do this is in the event that the external drive breaks, a copy of the files are on the Time Capsule itself.
- Asked by Galen H from New York
- Jan 13, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Time Capsule backup an external drive connected to the USB port?)