Speck’s SmartShell Case perfectly matches the sleek, lightweight design of your MacBook. This super-slim glossy hard case is precision-engineered for a perfect fit. And for a striking appearance, each case offers rich color and a striking glossy finish that lets you show off your unique style—while allowing your Mac’s design shine through. Anti-tip feet keep your MacBook stable and secure.
- Durable, ultra-thin hard shell protects from scratches and scuffs
- Sleek, glossy two-piece design is easy to put on and take off
- Anti-tilt rubberized feet keep your MacBook stable and secure
Did you notice?The striking color effects let the fine design of your MacBook—and the Apple logo—shine through.
Apple Recommends ForHard-shell protection that keeps your MacBook light on its feet.
What's in the Box?
- Speck SmartShell Case for MacBook
- Form Factor: Hard Case, Snap On
- Material: Hard Plastic
- Mfr. Part Number: SPK-A2178
- UPC or EAN No.: 848709005267
- Note: Products sold through this website that do not bear the Apple Brand name are serviced and supported exclusively by their manufacturers in accordance with terms and conditions packaged with the products. Apple's Limited Warranty does not apply to products that are not Apple-branded, even if packaged or sold with Apple products. Please contact the manufacturer directly for technical support and customer service.
- Warranty: One year (For details, please visit http://www.speckproducts.com/warranty-returns)
- Speck recommends cleaning your case before you put it on your MacBook and then once a month thereafter to avoid any build-up of dust or dirt. Simply wipe it with a soft, clean cloth or rinse with warm, soapy water. Before re-applying the case, make sure it’s completely dry—and also wipe down your Mac to remove any dust or particles.
Ratings & Reviews
One of Specks Best MacBook Cases
I've been a speck consumer for a long time, since I purchased the first generation iPod Shuffle to be exact. The Clear color case I've been a speck consumer for a long time, since I purchased the first generation iPod Shuffle to be exact. The Clear color case for the Air is well suggested over any other as I am owner of this model and the Matte Black. The Clear case helps kept the computer clean and safe from scratches and dings and on top of it the case holds strong against blemishes in comparison to the color versions of this model. The only thing i dislike but isn't a huge flaw and is also expected is that the rubber feet on the bottom yellow a bit but other than that its a great case. lastly the price is a bit steep but if you want a good case with a good warranty than its money well spent. …
- Written by Zachary King K from Brooklyn
99 of 111 people found this useful
Preserves the computer, but has some flaws.
I've owned two of these shells. They certainly protect the computer, but the case (especially the bottom) breaks very easily. It e I've owned two of these shells. They certainly protect the computer, but the case (especially the bottom) breaks very easily. It ended up messing up the back of my laptop, and I just bought a new case 10 days ago and it's already broken. The thing is, I'm not very rough with the case either. I would recommend this product, but keep in mind that it will break very easily. I hope Speck rethinks the case design to make it more durable. …
- Written by Max L from Providence
58 of 63 people found this useful
Well... It does its job.
The case certainly protects the MacBook Air, that's undisputable. There are a few flaws with it though:
- The case tends to hol The case certainly protects the MacBook Air, that's undisputable. There are a few flaws with it though:
- The case tends to hold on to quite a bit of dirt/dust/sediment The case is very flexible where the cut out to open the laptop is, so there is a lot of stuff that tends to collect in that area especially. However, this is to be expected from any case.
- The corners on this case and the snaps that hold the case to the MacBook tend to break off rather easily. This isn't a huge deal and Speck will replace them under warranty.
- Putting the case on and taking it off for cleaning can be a major pain, I keep thinking I am going to gouge my MacBook or break the case itself while doing so.
- The top of the case, for some reason, tends to scratch easily. Within the first week I got my case, I was beginning to notice scratches on it. I am extremely gentle on my laptop, if it's not out on a table and actively being used, it's inside of a padded laptop compartment in my backpack, so it's odd that it would be scratched at all. Although, I suppose it's better that the case be scratched than my MacBook.
Overall, I wouldn't ever get rid of this case as it does a great job of protecting the MacBook, there are just a couple of flaws you must be made aware of before buying it. I do believe the price point could be just a little bit lower considering it's just a piece of plastic, but I'm not one to spare a nickel when it comes to protecting my Mac. …
- Written by Cameron L from Cape Coral
58 of 69 people found this useful
Worst case I have ever had
When I first got this case, I thought it was pretty decent but now, I can say this is easily one of the worst cases I have ever ow When I first got this case, I thought it was pretty decent but now, I can say this is easily one of the worst cases I have ever owned. It breaks so easily and since I am a college student, it only sits on my desk. I don't take it many places at all. Yet somehow the pieces of plastic for the bottom continue to break. There are cracks all along the bottom and this just sits on my desk. The only thing this case is good for is keeping it clean. But for any form of protection, please look somewhere else!! …
- Written by Doug S from Abington
1 of 2 people found this useful
Not what I expected
This product did not fit on my laptop very well, popping off very easily and was very difficult to put on. The color of the green This product did not fit on my laptop very well, popping off very easily and was very difficult to put on. The color of the green one which I had ordered looked much more vibrant in the picture. I returned this product because although when it actually stayed on it seemed like it would protect well, it was not worth $60. I would not recommend this product …
- Written by Deni H from Hinton
1 of 1 people found this useful
Bottom breaks so quickly
I bought this case to try and protect my macbook. After about two weeks, the bottom broke and its now taped on! I may have brough I bought this case to try and protect my macbook. After about two weeks, the bottom broke and its now taped on! I may have brought my macbook out of my house twice, so I have no idea how the case broke so quickly. I am not happy, and I do not feel like spending another 50$ for a new one. …
- Written by Amanda M from Altamont
2 of 2 people found this useful
Questions & Answers
Answers from the community
Will this case fit the 12 inch macbook? If not, are there any clear shell cases available for that mac?
- Asked by Norma W from Crawfordville
- Jul 13, 2015
I'm wondering whether Spec 13" smartshell case with Herschel supply co. 13" anchor sleeve works for the new macbook pro retina.
- Asked by Jonghee C from Seoul
- May 17, 2015
Will my 15" Macbook Pro (Retina) still fit inside the Henge vertical dock with this case on?
- Asked by Paul N
- Jan 6, 2015
Hi i just bought a 11.6 macbook.can a case of 11' fit mine? then if not why not selling of 11.6 ? thanks.
- Asked by Mohamed S from Abudhabi
- Sep 16, 2014
the actual screen size is 11.6 inches, but companies can't be bothered to put the .6 on. Also, it sh the actual screen size is 11.6 inches, but companies can't be bothered to put the .6 on. Also, it should fit fine because there's never been a 11.0 inch macbook air …
- Answered by James D
- Jan 3, 2015