Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
Can the Apple Thunderbolt Display be connected to early 2008 Apple Mac Pro (2x2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon) with ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256 MB?
Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?
I have purchased a Thunderbolt NAS drive from Apple recently and also have a Thunderbolt enabled Macbook Air.
My question is that if I purchase then new Display, can I connect the NAS through the Thunderbolt port on the back of the Display?
I know this is the case for USB but does it work for Thunderbolt connected drives as well?
- Asked by John H
- Mar 27, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect to an external Thunderbolt HDD using the Thunderbolt on the display?)
Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?
I want to connect the Bose Companion 5 system via USB, but my question is how do I turn off the Thunderbolt Display sound while keeping the sound coming from my Bose Speakers?
Thanks in advance, hope someone can answer this, i'd really appreciate it!
- Asked by Michael C from Riverview
- Feb 26, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you turn the Thunderbolt Display's volume OFF?)
Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS
If the thunderbolt display is connected to my home network via ethernet (i.e. to my router)and also to a thunderbolt storage drive (such as the LaCie 4TB 2 big thunderbolt drive), will the storage drive function as a NAS that can be accessed by other devices on my network (e.g. for streaming photos and music to my Sonos, PC laptop, etc without a macbook being connected to the display too)?
- Asked by Tim A
- Mar 1, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display, thunderbolt storage and networks/NAS)
Chaining a non-Apple display (via a HDMI->Tb cable) to a (as yet unbought) Thunderbolt display on a MacBook Air (purchased Feb 2014): Workable?
The MacBook Air was bought in Feb 2014 and currently works with the aforementioned display via a HDMI->Tb cable.
This is what I get from the "system report" on my MacBook Air.
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA61.0099.B21
SMC Version (system): 2.13f15
Serial Number (system): ---
Hardware UUID: ---
Vendor Name: Apple Inc.
Device Name: MacBook Air
Route String: 0
Firmware Version: 23.6
Domain UUID: ---
- Asked by Jeremy C from Singapore
- Jan 21, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Chaining a non-Apple display (via a HDMI->Tb cable) to a (as yet unbought) Thunderbolt display on a MacBook Air (purchased Feb 2014): Workable?)
speakers for MacBook Pro 15 connected to Thunderbolt display
Just bought MacBook Pro 15, which will be connected to Thunderbolt display. Possible to connect speakers to the Thunderbolt? Or better to connect speakers to the MacBook? Thank you.
- Asked by Scott G from Santa Rosa
- Nov 27, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (speakers for MacBook Pro 15 connected to Thunderbolt display)
Does the latest Apple Thunderbolt display have a mega safe 2 connector or mega safe?
I am thinking of buying the new line of macs and I was wondering if Thunderbolt display has a mega safe 2 connector or 1? Do I need an adapter?
And which of the new Macs have Mega Safe 2? Does Air has Mega Safe 1 or 2?
- Asked by Rawaz M from Bradenton
- Jun 23, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the latest Apple Thunderbolt display have a mega safe 2 connector or mega safe?)
Can i add in the end of the chain a non thunderbolt display as 2nd display
i am setting up my new work desk, and have the following plan:
1 Mac Book Pro (Latest)
then via TB 1 x 27inch Thunderbolt Display
then via TB 1x Pegasus R6 Raid
and then as the last one in the chain a Normal 2010 Display port
Will that work?
- Asked by Benjamin S from Malden
- Jan 22, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i add in the end of the chain a non thunderbolt display as 2nd display)
I have a new MacBook Pro 13''. Can I connect with 2 Apple Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Daren S from Teluk Intan
- Jan 31, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a new MacBook Pro 13''. Can I connect with 2 Apple Thunderbolt Display?)
I have a new MacBook Air. Can you connect 2 thunderbolt displays to a macbook air
- Asked by Ryan S from Manhattan Beach
- Jan 7, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (I have a new MacBook Air. Can you connect 2 thunderbolt displays to a macbook air)
Calibration of Thunderbolt display in conjunction with Macbook Pro Retina
I have a Spyder3Elite monitor calibrator and I wanted to make sure that I would be able to achieve closely matched calibration of a Thunderbolt display and a Macbook Pro Retina (15").
Can you explain any settings that should be configured on one or the other to get equivalent colour results?
Has Apple tested calibrating Thunderbolt displays with MBP Retinas using any of the Spyder calibrators (or other brands)?
We have an older 27" iMac that is nicely calibrated and we want to make sure that the MBP Retina and Thunderbolt combination will be able to achieve the same results for photo editing as the old iMac.
- Asked by Sarah O from Newtown
- Aug 27, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Calibration of Thunderbolt display in conjunction with Macbook Pro Retina)
Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable)
The "pigtale" cable will be short to reach my mac mini. My question is, if I buy two TB Displays, Can I use the TB port on the 1st display to connect to the mac mini and the pigtale from the 1st display to connect to the 2nd TB display and then be able to use both displays? (mac mini '11 2.5ghz)
Can anybody please check that this actually works?
- Asked by Valentino C from Sao Paulo
- Aug 30, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Using two thunderbolt displays connected through the TB port (not the pigtale cable))
Thunderbolt display cable length/extension
Apple doesn't say, but I've read that the integral Thunderbolt cable is just one meter (or three feet approx.). I have also read that it is possible to extend this by purchasing the two meter Thunderbolt cable from Apple and connecting to the extra port, but then I will not have powered USB / Firewire ports on the display.
Question: is there a connector that would allow me to extend the integral cable by adding Apple's cable and thus retain use of the Thunderbolt port and allow power to the USB & Firewire ports.
I am will be using this with a rMacbook Pro. I have some work I need to do at a few feet distant from the monitor.
- Asked by Jonathan B from Miami
- Oct 9, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Thunderbolt display cable length/extension)
can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?
Can you connect a cable box using HDMI to thunderbolt or mini display cable to the 27" Thunderbolt Display?
- Asked by Kip M from Naples
- Jan 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (can you watch TV on a Thunderbolt Display?)
No answers yet
Connecting my Bose speakers to the Thunderbolt display
Ive some Bose Music Monitor Computer speakers Id like to use.
How would I connect them?
- Asked by Paul T
- Nov 2, 2012
- Flag as inappropriate (Connecting my Bose speakers to the Thunderbolt display)
Will the computer charge as you are connected to the thunderbolt display
- Asked by Arline & Billye G from Albuquerque
- Nov 13, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the computer charge as you are connected to the thunderbolt display)
Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?
I have been using an Apple Thunderbolt Display since it was first available. In the past few years, I have been experiencing issues where a Macbook Pro (a mid 2013 edition and now a mid 2014 edition) has been experiencing ejecting disks, ejecting iDevices, and ejecting displays (i.e. display screen goes black). Logic boards have been replaced 3 times on the earlier Macbook Pro and 1 time on the 2014 edition. I am now experiencing the ejecting display issue again on the mid 2014 Macbook Pro.
After disconnecting all external devices (disks, iDevices, etc.), the only remaining item that is connected is the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It seems like the Thunderbolt cable is the issue. I wonder if the heat from the Thunderbolt connection has been causing failures in the logic boards, however, I digress.
Is is possible to completely replace the Thunderbolt cable from the Apple Display to a Macbook Pro?
- Asked by James W from Terre Haute
- Oct 14, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can Thunderbolt Display cables be replaced?)
No answers yet
Can a Thunderbolt display switch between two computers?
Can a Thunderbolt display switch between two computers?
If a Thunderbolt display is the primary display for a Mac Mini, is it possible for the display to switch to a MacBook Air? Without necessarily pulling the Thunderbolt connection from the Mac Mini? (Extra credit if this means the two machines could share the same USB-connected keyboard and mouse, via the same display?)
- Asked by Marc Y from Stony Brook
- Nov 23, 2011
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a Thunderbolt display switch between two computers?)