Questions & Answers for AirPort Extreme
Product No Longer Available
480 Questions from the Community
Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router
Please Hang with me here, I am NOT an Apple User as of "YET", and not really great at Computer Language. That said, here goes.
1). I own a 2 year old DELL Laptop, (Don't Like It at all)! its Slow, has 4 Gigs of RAM and a 2.16 Gighrtz Processor. I am Looking to go with an Apple Laptop.
2). We have Comcast Internet Service Wireless Router Modem that is 150MB Download and 12MB Upload. It is there Latest Modem and was replaced 2 weeks ago. I use my Laptop Hardwired to the Modem with an Ethernet Cable, My Wife has a Dell Desktop that is Hard Wired also, if I switch to wireless "IE" Unplug the Ethernet Cable, I can go to Starbucks and get a cup of coffee and come back and the Page "MIGHT BE" Loaded. Wired, it aint much faster!
So, I have talked to some friends that have apple Computer Laptops and swear by them. What I don't know is, are they Wireless "ONLY"? How do I use my Printer that has a USB Cable attached (Not Wireless)?
3). If I buy an Apple Laptop Computer, And, want to use it at its FASTEST / BEST Speeds and Capabilities, can I purchase the AirPort Extreme, and use it with or Attached to the Comcast Modem to get better Distance and more reliable Internet service? We Stream Netflix, VuDu, Pandora, and such regularly. Our TV Is an older Plasma Unit from 2003 and we have DIRECT TV with the Wireless GENIE'S, Can someone Explain to me in Layman's Terms if this will work without me having to call Comcast In the Philippines and getting all Upset, And, just what I have to do if I go to the Expense of Switching over to APPLE and an AirPort Extreme Router. Sorry if I have forgotten anything, but I am not sure how much longer I can deal with DELL. My wife has No Intention of switching anything with her system until it Fails, and does not want to go away from the Hard Wired Set up. Any Help is Appreciated. Thank You So Much. Ken Davis. By The Way, my Family all has I Phones and I Pads...
- Asked by Ken D from San Jose
- Mar 3, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router)
Yes you can use an Airport Extreme with a Comcast router and it is quite simple.
I have an iMac (mid-2011) running El Capitan, a MacBook Pro, a MacBook Air, a few iPads and iPhones in my home. It is a condo and the router is in a closet. We subscribe to Comcast Xfinity.
We had no end of issues with wireless on the iMac with Comcast. Everything you mention happened to us as well - pages hanging up, having to reboot the router repeatedly, slow wireless, etc. etc. Finally, after many sessions at the Genius Bar and with Apple Support (and after Comcast washed its hands off the whole thing) I put in an Airport Extreme on the output side of the Comcast router. Just hooked it up with an Ethernet cable to the Comcast modem/router and plugged it in. It started working seamlessly and it was a real breeze to set it up on my iMac as my default wireless network .
My wireless problems seem to be over. My old Panasonic plasma TV works great with Apple TV as well.
I would highly recommend it. Only regret is that I bought an Airport Extreme instead of a Time Capsule. I need backup capacity and now I have to buy a separate drive or buy a Time Capsule and use the Extreme as a spare.
Re; Mac computers, they all have wireless and wired connections - Ethernet ports, USB, Thunderbolt and Firewire. So you can connect via hardwire and wireless.
When I moved from Windows (HP, Dell) to Apple the thing that was the biggest surprise was how easy it was to set it all up. What took me hours with HP took minutes with Apple. I am a convert - I would recommend it strongly.
- Answered by Chandra S from Chicago
- Mar 29, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the AirPort Extreme Compatable with a Comcast Modem/Router)
What's the difference between the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Time Capsule?
I'm thinking about buying one for my 2013 MacBook Air, but the only differences I can find between the two products are the names and the prices.
- Asked by Price F from Abingdon
- Oct 7, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (What's the difference between the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Time Capsule?)
The AirPort Extreme is a wireless router. The Time Capsule is a wireless router with a built-in hard disk drive for backup purposes.
- Answered by Ryan C from Berea
- Oct 13, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What's the difference between the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Time Capsule?)
Does the Dual Band run on a Single Signal or a seperate one for each?
We have a router that puts out a dual band signal, however it sends out the different bandwidths on different signals. This means that our iDevices can't connect to both. Is this the case with the AirPort Extreme or is a single signal for both bands?
- Asked by Max P from Ormiston
- Oct 6, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Dual Band run on a Single Signal or a seperate one for each?)
Can i Buy an apple airport extreme in usa with a european power cord?
- Asked by Oscar J from Canelones
- Jul 16, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i Buy an apple airport extreme in usa with a european power cord?)
what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??
my iphone 5s is Immerses in the water and not working. i put it in rice for two days
after that , i go to maintenance in some store , he said you have to replace the part called AC in order to functioning well
what is AC , and its important to power on the device????
- Asked by Ahmad M from Springfield Gardens
- Jun 8, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (what is AC iphone in 5s stand for ??)
No answers yet
Are there any issues interfacing an airport extreme ((802.11n) with the bell fibe tv router ? Is the wi-fi security protocols the same.
- Asked by Michael M from St.sauveur
- May 18, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (Are there any issues interfacing an airport extreme ((802.11n) with the bell fibe tv router ? Is the wi-fi security protocols the same.)
does airport extreme work with drobo
- Asked by Lianne B from Kinburn
- Apr 4, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (does airport extreme work with drobo)
No answers yet
if i attach a hard drive full of media content, can i access it from apple tv?
- Asked by Joshua H from Anderson
- Mar 1, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (if i attach a hard drive full of media content, can i access it from apple tv?)
Would it support an external USB hard drive formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled Encrypted?
The older airport model that i have doesn't show the hard drive in finder if encrypted.
- Asked by Fadi A from Woodbridge
- Feb 15, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Would it support an external USB hard drive formatted as Mac OS Extended Journaled Encrypted?)
How can I manage the wired connection on the AirPort Extreme?
I use both wireless and wired connection on my AirPort Extreme. The wireless connections work great. But when my Dell computer that is wired to the AirPort Extreme hibernates, it loses its connection to the internet. It remains connected to the AirPort Extreme, but loses the connection to the internet on the wired connection (back to the cable modelm). At this point the only solution seems to be to restart the Dell computer, which takes forever. Any wireless connection remains fine. Trouble is this Dell computer is reasonably fast on wired connection and fairly slow on wireless connection, or I'd just switch it to wireless connection too. Any ideas?
- Asked by Gary T from Sugar Land
- Mar 25, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (How can I manage the wired connection on the AirPort Extreme?)
Is there a difference in performance (speed or consistency) between the guest log in and the normal log in? If so what is it?
- Asked by Dean W from Elk Grove
- Nov 20, 2014
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a difference in performance (speed or consistency) between the guest log in and the normal log in? If so what is it?)
How to extend the range of a new Airport Time Capsule
- Asked by Debbie H from Pikeville
- Sep 23, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (How to extend the range of a new Airport Time Capsule)
ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience.
ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience and would have to do this alone. Currently the internet always goes out, and has issues with new devices logging into the network, as well as issues streaming. We are thinking replacing the router will help this situation. Ideas?
- Asked by Caroline D from Daphne
- Nov 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience.)
I have ATT Uverse w/ an ATT-supplied modem/router/wireless device (Arris NVG589) - and have had their service for a few years. About a month ago I got tired of random service drop-outs, called ATT support and (after some no-resolution online testing) they sent out a technician who swapped out some "old style" connections (outside) and traded me for a new modem/router/wireless device - all for free because what they found at my place was "no longer within specs" for them to be able to guarantee quality service. Service has been stable since then.
Separate from that event, and more to the point of your inquiry - YES, I also have an Apple Airport Extreme base station. I plugged in a Cat5 ethernet cable from the ATT router to supply internet service to the Airport Extreme. Then, I setup my own, uniquely-named WiFi network using the Airport as the wireless source. Effectively, I've ignored the WiFi supplied by the ATT device... internet service passes through it, but all my WiFi is sourced out of the Airport Extreme. This has been stable and working beautifully for 2-3 years.
Streaming (I assume video) is a high-bandwidth activity. If there is a way to do that wired instead of wireless, you'll end up being happier with the overall configuration... not necessarily because of the quality of the streaming content, but because taking that load off of your WiFi will leave plenty of WiFi bandwidth for other WiFi usage WHILE there is streaming video going on. I have 3 computers, a tablet, and 2 phones that share the WiFi full time, and I definitely saw more dependable connections for them when I moved my streaming devices off WiFi.
- Answered by Joseph F from Tulsa
- Dec 23, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (ATT modem/router combo which I do not think works well. How will the Extreme work in this situation or do I need a new modem? I have no experience.)
does it have wifi built inside? can it be used outside the country?
- Asked by Dahiana G from Revere
- Mar 28, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (does it have wifi built inside? can it be used outside the country?)
how to bridge airport express with airport extreme
- Asked by Eric B from Seneca
- Jul 27, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (how to bridge airport express with airport extreme)
Can a USA purchased Airport Express Extend a European wireless router network (The Netherlands)
I'm attempting to extend a wireless network with my USA purchased Airport Express, it continually errors out upon attempting to extend the network. I have to force a factory reset in order to make it visible again...
I saw another forum where people were saying that regions are pre-programed into these devices based upon where you purchased it, is is that true? If so, is there anyway around it?
Seems sort of silly to think no-one might ever use a US purchased device in Europe...
- Asked by Brian M from Woodworth
- Feb 29, 2016
- Flag as inappropriate (Can a USA purchased Airport Express Extend a European wireless router network (The Netherlands))
can you stream directly to apple tv from the time capsule
i don't want to always have my computer on to watch my movies
- Asked by Bill T from Riverton
- Jul 10, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate (can you stream directly to apple tv from the time capsule)
Will The Apple Extreme replace the BT Home Hub (Black one)
I am on BT Infinity and have a Home Hub (think it is HH3 - the black one) and I am having major issues using my Apple TV's (ATV 2 and ATV3) with the HH due to constant network drop outs. Will The Extreme replace my HH ) I have a BT modem connected to the Hh which I could connect to the extreme).
- Asked by Jason F
- Jun 14, 2013
- Flag as inappropriate (Will The Apple Extreme replace the BT Home Hub (Black one))
I've replaced our home hub 3 with an AirPort Extreme and it works just fine, a big improvement, no more loss of network.
- Answered by Philip F
- May 28, 2015
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will The Apple Extreme replace the BT Home Hub (Black one))