Apple USB SuperDrive
The sleek, compact USB SuperDrive.
Everything you need in an optical drive.
Whether you’re at the office or on the road, you can play and burn both CDs and DVDs with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It’s perfect when you want to watch a DVD movie, install software, create backup discs, and more.
Take it anywhere.
Only slightly bigger than a CD case, the Apple USB SuperDrive slips easily into your travel bag when you hit the road and takes up little space on your desk or tray table when you’re working.
The essence of simplicity.
You’ll never have to worry about lost cables with the Apple USB SuperDrive. It connects to your MacBook Pro with Retina display*, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac mini with a single USB Type-A cable that’s built into the SuperDrive. There’s no separate power adapter, and it works whether your Mac is plugged in or running on battery power.
What’s in the Box
Apple USB SuperDrive with attached USB Type-A Connector cable
Compatible with the following computers:
MacBook Air with Retina display*
MacBook Pro with Retina display*
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)
* MacBook, MacBook Air with Retina display, and MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports require a USB-C to USB Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.
- MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2018 and later)
- MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015 - 2017)
- MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 - 2015)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012 - 2015)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
- iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 - 2015)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
- Mac mini (2018)
- Mac mini (Late 2014)
Answers from the community
can it read/play NTSC formatted DVDs
- Asked by Helena L from London
- on 21-Apr-2019
It plays dvds which have commercially available movies printed on them. I have hundreds of movies a It plays dvds which have commercially available movies printed on them. I have hundreds of movies as well as season series. All NTSC format. I also print my own movies in NTSC format. <br/> However, it doesn’t seem to read a dual layer disk. So a very long movie may only play the first layer. If the movie is on two disks. You’re fine. It’s rare movies are so long to require a dual layer disk
- Answered by Stephen T from Kalispell
- on 05-May-2019
Will this work on the new 13" Mac Book Pro? The text specifies a "Mac Book Pro with Retina Display". The new 13" MacBook Pro does not have Retina.
- Asked by Karl S from newcastle upon tyne
- on 11-Jun-2012
Like the previous USB SuperDrive this one is only designed to work with computers that do not have o Like the previous USB SuperDrive this one is only designed to work with computers that do not have one built in. It only works with Mac mini, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro with Retina.
11 Answers(Will this work on the new 13" Mac Book Pro? The text specifies a "Mac Book Pro with Retina Display". The new 13" MacBook Pro does not have Retina.)
- Answered by Steve B from FILEY
- on 13-Jun-2012
does macbook pro (early 2011) support usb super drive
- Asked by viralbhai P from rajkot
- on 21-Oct-2014
Will superdrive work with late 2007 white MacBook ?
- Asked by daniel M from brunswick
- on 10-Nov-2012