Which end is which?
There is a standard for describing electrical connections that is not used here. For 115 V AC, on the end of a cable one plugs into an outlet is a MALE connector. The outlet is a FEMALE connector. Is this gizmo a MALE MagSafe2 and FEMALE MagSafe1, or is it a MALE MagSafe1 and FEMALE MagSafe2. I think it is the former, but it's hard to be sure from the description.
MALE MagSafe2 and FEMALE MagSafe1 would allow charging of a newer computer with an older power adapter.
MALE MagSafe1 and FEMALE MagSafe2 would allow charging of an older computer with a newer power adaptor.
Each task is going to be desired by some users. Why is there only one kind of adapter?
- Asked by fn from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate (Which end is which?)
- Asked about: MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter
1 Answer from the Community
This is a female MagSafe and male MagSafe 2 converter, allowing you to use an old MagSafe charger with a new MacBook.
I suppose the reasoning is that lots of people have older chargers, and they're buying new computers, so it makes sense to have an adapter like this one, but few people are going to be buying new chargers for old computers, since Apple still sells the old chargers. It's possible there are some people desiring an adapter that goes the other way, but it's likely a very small number of users.
- Answered by Mark P from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Do you sell the cable and its extension separately?
- Asked by Claudia A from Sutton
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you sell the cable and its extension separately?)
- Asked about: Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (…
Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?
- Asked by Mark W from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be daisy chained to my computer via a thunderbolt external hard drive?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Ada…