Is USB-C connection the same as Thunderbolt 3? And what is Thunderbolt 1 and 2? Thanks
- Asked by James M from Naples
- Flag as inappropriate (Is USB-C connection the same as Thunderbolt 3? And what is Thunderbolt 1 and 2? Thanks)
3 Answers from the Community
Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C (3.1 Gen2) share the same cable type and port. Although, standard USB-C allows transfer speeds up to 10GBps whilst Thunderbolt 3 allows for transfer speeds of up to 40GBps. Thunderbolt 1 & 2 are previous versions of the thunderbolt standard.
- Answered by James R
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Sort-off, the port is the same but Thunderbolt 3 devices won't work on a USB-C port. USB-C devices will work on Thunderbolt 3 ports.
Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 were kind of PCI-E combined with mini DisplayPort. It let you connect to external monitors, hard drives, and even GPUs. Thunderbolt had a speed of about 10Gbps and Thunderbolt 2 20Gbps and now Thunderbolt 3 is up to 40Gbps. Thunderbolt was intended to be able to do it all but few people used it until now, since nearly every newer laptop with a Skylake CPU has it.
- Answered by William W from Pittsburgh
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are basically the same things, but Thunderbolt 3 is faster than USB-C. Thunderbolt 1 & 2 are previous versions of thunderbolt and transfer data slower than Thunderbolt 3.
- Answered by Jason H from Lewis Center
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Will the USB-C connect thunderbolt?
- Asked by Carlene R from Spring Hill
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the USB-C connect thunderbolt?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
connecting a USBc (USB3.1gen 1) DEVICE... to a Mac Pro ("trash can" Mac) which is Thunderbolt 2
- Asked by Bradly B from Dunkirk
- Flag as inappropriate (connecting a USBc (USB3.1gen 1) DEVICE... to a Mac Pro ("trash can" Mac) which is Thunderbolt 2)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Cable (0.5 m)