Will this monitor work with a 2017 Macbook Retina? (not Macbook Pro - just he macbook)
- Asked by Robert K from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this monitor work with a 2017 Macbook Retina? (not Macbook Pro - just he macbook))
2 Answers from the Community
Simple answer: No.
Long answer: Yes, but it's expensive, might not work, and won't allow you to use all the features of the display.
The LG UltraFine 5K is a Thunderbolt 3 display.
The MacBook doesn't have Thunderbolt 3. It has a USB-C port capable of outputting DisplayPort up to 4K 60Hz.
You can convert DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3 with a Thunderbolt 3 add-in card like the GC-ALPINE RIDGE, but you need a PCIe slot to power it such as one provided by a PC or a riser like the IT-GO "ADP-099-31".
The display contains a USB controller connected to the Thunderbolt 3 controller which a computer can only communicate with using PCIe through Thunderbolt 3. The functions of the display that require USB (such as USB ports, audio, camera, brightness control) will only be usable by a PC that contains and supports all the functions of the Thunderbolt 3 add-in card (not just DisplayPort conversion, but also PCIe tunneling).
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Answering my own ... No, as the Macbook does not support Thunderbolt 3.
- Answered by Robert K from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Will the airpods work with Macbook Pro retina?
- Asked by Alven N from Kuala Lumpur
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the airpods work with Macbook Pro retina?)
- Asked about: AirPods
Does the videomicro work with a Macbook Pro 2017?
- Asked by Kevin B from Newcastle
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the videomicro work with a Macbook Pro 2017?)
- Asked about: RØDE Microphones VideoMicro Mobile …
Does this work with 2017 macbook pro (15”)?
- Asked by Mohammad Ashraful I from Texax
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this work with 2017 macbook pro (15”)?)
- Asked about: mophie powerstation USB-C XXL Unive…