Which of the following options work to connect my 2nd UltraFine 5k? (a) directly to the Mac (b) via HDMI to Thunderbolt adapter (3) buy a second eGPU?
1 Answer from the Community
(a) and/or (3). Each Thunderbolt 3 controller of your Mac can power one LG UltraFine 5K display (except the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) only supports one LG UltraFine 5K). There are usually two Thunderbolt 3 ports per Thunderbolt 3 controller. Each eGPU can power one LG UltraFine 5K display. You can have one eGPU per Thunderbolt 3 port of your Mac. The eGPU uses it's own Thunderbolt 3 controller to power displays connected to it, so the "one 5K display per Thunderbolt controller limit" of the Mac does not apply. Displays connected to the Mac will be powered by the Mac's GPU. Displays connected to the eGPU will be powered by the eGPU's GPU.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Can you daisy chain a 5K monitor through the Thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Jonathan H
- Flag as inappropriate Can you daisy chain a 5K monitor through the Thunderbolt port?
How many displays does this one Support?
- Asked by Richard A from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate How many displays does this one Support?
eGPU Akitio Thunder 3 to MacBook Air
- Asked by Shaun J from Shailer Park
- Flag as inappropriate eGPU Akitio Thunder 3 to MacBook Air