How will this perform with the 16inch MacBook pro?
4 Answers from the Community
This will perform well with the 16” MacBook Pro, as this will allow all ports to work as expected and charge the computer. We are currently developing an update that will allow this to push more power to the host computer in order to work better with the 96W power requirements.
- Answered by Jonathan E
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I purchased this dock the same day I bought the 16” MBP, unfortunately when I try to leave my laptop docked with the thunderbolt 3 cable plugged in, my MBP crashes. This happens every time without exception but only after screen saver initiates, it hasn’t happened yet while actively using.
I’ve literally tried all combinations of energy saver possible but to negative effect.
I’m driving a 34” LG Ultrawide with a DisplayPort-> usb c TB3 cable @ < 4K (don’t have the exact specs at time of writing).
Hoping firmware update will fix this issue since the dock can only be used in short bursts and can’t be used for my normal use case.
- Answered by Jason A from Overland Park
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I spoke with CalDigit support just now to see what "update" means. I wasn't sure if that meant firmware update or new dock.
"We are working on a firmware update that will increase the wattage the TS3 Plus will be capable of delivering to the 16" MacBook Pro."
"In our lab testing between the TS3 Plus and Apple's new charging cable, we only found a 12 second difference in charging from 0% to 100%."
- Answered by Mark H from Honolulu
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
I've also have had crashes with this dock and the new 16" MacBook Pro. Specifically, it seems to have problems when the computer goes to sleep, or perhaps when it tries to wake up. I'll leave the computer to go to sleep and when I try using it later, the computer has been rebooted and I get a Problem Report crash dump when I log in again. If I power off the brick it comes with and hook my external monitor directly, I'm not able to reproduce the problem, so it seems to be the dock that's causing the problem. Not sure if this is an Apple or CalDigit problem to fix, but in any event I'd stay away from this dock until there's a fix from either party. I'm going to try this with the 10.15.2 developer beta seed to see if this fixes the issue.
- Answered by Alex R from Redwood City
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 4
Will the 16 inch MacBook Pro fit as well?
- Asked by Noam S from Montreal
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the 16 inch MacBook Pro fit as well?)
- Asked about: Incase 12" Compact Sleeve in Flight…
Is this compatible with the new 16-inch MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Brian B from Houston
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this compatible with the new 16-inch MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Twelve South HiRise Adjustable Stan…
Will this LG UltraFine 4k Display power the new 16 inch MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Alan M from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this LG UltraFine 4k Display power the new 16 inch MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display