Can I use the USB Port on the back of my Airport Express for audio?
I want to connect my Bose Speaker system that I purchased for my computer. I want to be able to use my laptop anywhere in the room without being tired to my desk where the speakers are. What are my options? Thanks
- Asked by Jeremy G from Los Angles
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the USB Port on the back of my Airport Express for audio?)
3 Answers from the Community
The USB connection on this router is meant for printers. However, there is an audio jack on the back that will allow you to connect your speakers to the network. If your speakers are USB only, there are adaptors available.
- Answered by Erik H from Atchison
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Going by the chart published by Apple as a comparison between the three versions you can only use the USB for printing on the Express and both printing and disk on the Extreme / Time Capsule models.
If the Bose speaker has a standard audio cable (3.5mm round) then you can use the standard audio out on these but if its USB only you are out of luck.
- Answered by Andrew B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
From the apple.com website: 'AirPlay takes the music from the iTunes library on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and sends it wirelessly to any stereo or speakers in your home. Simply connect your speakers to AirPort Express using an audio cable (sold separately). Then, using iTunes on your computer or the Music app on your iOS device, choose which speakers you want your music to play on. If you have more than one AirPort Express connected to speakers, you can play the same music from iTunes on your Mac or PC on all your speakers at the same time. Already have a Wi‑Fi network in place? Use AirPort Express to add music streaming to its capabilities and create a whole‑house musical experience.'
- Answered by Alexander K from Basking Ridge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can I print from an iPhone and iPad to a non-airprint-compatible USB printer which will be plugged into the USB port of the latest Airport Express?
- Asked by Bevan W
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I print from an iPhone and iPad to a non-airprint-compatible USB printer which will be plugged into the USB port of the latest Airport Express?)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
Does the keypad have a USB port
- Asked by Rhonda N from Richmond
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the keypad have a USB port)
- Asked about: Smart Keyboard for 12.9‑inch iPad P…