Does the USB A port support external hard drives that draw their power from the USB port? And does it need to be plugged in to do this?
1 Answer from the Community
I have used this adaptor with my 2016 MacBook and successfully run a WD Essential USB disk with it. The drive draws all its power from the adapter. I initially used it with the adaptor plugged into the wall socket for power and the disk operated fine. When I unplugged the USB-C lead supplying power to the adapter the HD ungracefully ejected itself and powered down. I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in again with no power connected and it worked fine. So, in summary, this adapter supports a WD Essential drive that draws power from it and will operate with or without power, but I would avoid either plugging, or unplugging the adapter with a disk mounted to it. I only tested it with a WD Essential, other disks may draw more power and not work with this adapter.
- Answered by James M
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Could this be used as a general usb port like on a computer or is it just for cameras?
- Asked by Curtis H from Dallas
- Flag as inappropriate (Could this be used as a general usb port like on a computer or is it just for cameras?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB Camera Adapter
Does the HomePod have any USB ports?
- Asked by Creighton B
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the HomePod have any USB ports?)
- Asked about: HomePod
Will the projector charged if plugged into a MacBook USB port?
- Asked by Samuel G
- Flag as inappropriate (Will the projector charged if plugged into a MacBook USB port?)
- Asked about: Miroir HD Pro Projector M220