Can I use this to connect a Thunderbolt 2 drive to the Pro Display XDR (backside ports) which itself is connected to the MBP 16"
i.e. MBP 16" -> Pro Display XDR -> Lacie TB2 Rugged RAID
I don't want to connect the drive directly to the MBP.
2 Answers from the Community
No, that will not work. The Pro Display XDR does not have downstream Thunderbolt ports for connecting devices, it only has a single upstream Thunderbolt port for connecting to a Mac. The 3 downstream ports on it are USB-C only, not Thunderbolt - while the connector is physically the same, you cannot plug a Thunderbolt device like this adapter and/or a Lacie Thunderbolt disk into the ports on the XDR. You can only use USB-C disk drives with the XDR, any Thunderbolt devices must be plugged directly into your Mac.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Yes. You won't get much bandwidth since the Pro Display XDR uses most of the Thunderbolt bandwidth for video, but it will function.
- Answered by Ed H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?
- Asked by Adam P from Beverly
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…
Connect 3 of these monitors to a MBP?
- Asked by Jeff B from Gilbertsville
- Flag as inappropriate (Connect 3 of these monitors to a MBP?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display
No answers yet
Does it support thunderbolt 2?
- Asked by Henry A from Fairfield
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support thunderbolt 2?)
- Asked about: LaCie 2TB Rugged Thunderbolt + USB-…