Can I use this to connect a Thunderbolt 2 drive to the Pro Display XDR (backside ports) which itself is connected to the MBP 16"
i.e. MBP 16" -> Pro Display XDR -> Lacie TB2 Rugged RAID
I don't want to connect the drive directly to the MBP.
1 Answer from the Community
No, that will not work. The Pro Display XDR does not have downstream Thunderbolt ports for connecting devices, it only has a single upstream Thunderbolt port for connecting to a Mac. The 3 downstream ports on it are USB-C only, not Thunderbolt - while the connector is physically the same, you cannot plug a Thunderbolt device like this adapter and/or a Lacie Thunderbolt disk into the ports on the XDR. You can only use USB-C disk drives with the XDR, any Thunderbolt devices must be plugged directly into your Mac.
- Answered by Thomas N from Aurora
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Will this work with a 16" MBP connected the computer port, and also power two monitors connected to the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of the dock?
- Asked by Meredith S from Kansas City
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this work with a 16" MBP connected the computer port, and also power two monitors connected to the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the back of the dock?)
- Asked about: CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock
Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?
- Asked by Adam P from Beverly
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I connect 3 Apple Thunderbolt 2 displays?)
- Asked about: Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express Dock H…
Connect 3 of these monitors to a MBP?
- Asked by Jeff B from Gilbertsville
- Flag as inappropriate (Connect 3 of these monitors to a MBP?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display
No answers yet