Can this adapter be used to connect a USB C monitor to a Mac Mini (which only has USB A and Thunderbolt ports)?
In particular, I'd like to connect an AOC i1601fwux monitor which would need both power and video from the single USB C cable.
1 Answer from the Community
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not pass DisplayPort signals (it does not create a USB-C DisplayPort alt mode signal). But it can pass a DisplayPort stream over Thunderbolt where a Thunderbolt device can convert it back to DisplayPort or USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode.
For example, you can connect a USB-C display to an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock. This will also support the USB functions of the USB-C display (which might include audio, brightness control, camera, and USB hub) because the Thunderbolt 3 port of the dock also supports USB 3.1 gen 2 (which requires macOS Sierra or later) and DisplayPort alt mode.
You could try using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. That won't provide power to the display (the display needs a separate power supply) and it won't support any USB functionality.
You could try using a PCIe card that can convert DisplayPort to USB-C (SUNIX UPD2018 or Delock 89582), or Thunderbolt (GC-ALPINE RIDGE). You need a PCIe riser or enclosure to power the PCIe card (or put the PCIe card in another computer). USB functionality won't be supported but the USB-C connection will have USB power that could provide power to a low power USB display that doesn't have a separate power supply. I found that the GC-ALPINE RIDGE didn't work with some common risers, but did work in a computer or an IT-GO "ADP-099-31" enclosure.
The AOC i1601fwux only requires 8 watts, so the Thunderbolt 3 Dock or PCIe card solutions should work. It doesn't appear that the AOC requires any USB functionality other than power, but you can check for that in the macOS IORegistry, System Profiler app, or Windows Device Manager.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Despite the older thunderbolts ports, can this be connected using appropriate adapters to a mini mac mid 2011?
- Asked by A J M
- Flag as inappropriate (Despite the older thunderbolts ports, can this be connected using appropriate adapters to a mini mac mid 2011?)
- Asked about: Blackmagic eGPU
Can the adapter also be used to connect to a second USB device through the USB-C charging port? (with the MacBook running on its battery)
- Asked by Arthur F
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the adapter also be used to connect to a second USB device through the USB-C charging port? (with the MacBook running on its battery))
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
I have an external monitor that uses displayport ... can I drive the display from a 2017 iMac using one of the USB 3.1 type A ports?
- Asked by Paul R from Clevedon
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an external monitor that uses displayport ... can I drive the display from a 2017 iMac using one of the USB 3.1 type A ports?)
- Asked about: Mac