Is there a way to connect an external TB2 disk to a new MacBook? When using this connector a warning: this MacBook doesn't support TB2 devices appears
I have several several TB2 external disks with USB-3 option that at least can connect; BUT I have a 12 TB TB2-only connectivity that I cannot connect. Do I have an option with my new MacBook to connect to the 12TB TB2.
Can a new MacBook "PRO" connect to a TB2 device? What about an iMac?
1 Answer from the Community
The MacBook has USB-C ports that only support USB, DisplayPort 1.2, and HDMI 1.4 (using passive adapters). Active adapters can convert DisplayPort to VGA, Dual Link DVI, and HDMI 2.0.
USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 devices may include a billboard USB device or USB Power Delivery (PD) information that can tell the computer what kind of device it is. This way, your MacBook can tell that the device is Thunderbolt 2 and give you that information that it won't work.
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter will work to connect Thunderbolt 2 devices/computers to Thunderbolt 3 devices/computers which includes the MacBook Pro, iMac, and your TB2 disks.
There is no way to connect a Thunderbolt device to a computer that doesn't have Thunderbolt.
There is no way to add Thunderbolt to a computer (unless it's a PC with Thunderbolt add-in card support).
What you can do is transfer the hard disk inside the TB2 disk to an enclosure that uses USB.
Or you can connect the TB2 disk to a computer with Thunderbolt, enable file sharing on that computer, and connect to that computer from your MacBook.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does it connect to the MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Eunice D from Weslaco
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it connect to the MacBook Pro?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB 3.0 4-Port Hub + USB-C C…
No answers yet
Does this adapter support a MacBook USB superdrive?
- Asked by Brianna H from East Albury
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter support a MacBook USB superdrive?)
- Asked about: USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter
MacBook Pro Retina and 3 monitor support
- Asked by Anonymous A from Xxxxxxxx
- Flag as inappropriate (MacBook Pro Retina and 3 monitor support)
- Asked about: Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
No answers yet