Will this allow a pre-2016 Thunderbolt Display to charge a 2016 rMBP? Or is an additional charger cable necessary?
1 Answer from the Community
No, it will not. Thunderbolt 2 does not provide much power over its connection (roughly equivalent to an iPhone USB charger brick.) You would need to have a separate USB-C power cable plugged in to the MacBook Pro - the Thunderbolt Display will not provide power through this. (The Thunderbolt Display provided power through a separate MagSafe connector, there is no adapter to "combine" Thunderbolt and MagSafe in to one Thunderbolt 3/USB-C plug.)
- Answered by Ed H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Is this the correct cable for transferring data from 2016 MBP to the new 2019 MBP?
- Asked by Robyn A from El Sobrante
- Flag as inappropriate (Is this the correct cable for transferring data from 2016 MBP to the new 2019 MBP?)
- Asked about: Thunderbolt 3 (USB‑C) Cable (0.8 m)
can I listen to audio out of the thunderbolt port?
- Asked by Janice L from Lacey
- Flag as inappropriate (can I listen to audio out of the thunderbolt port?)
- Asked about: Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapt…