Will this allow the new Macbook Pro 15" to drive a monitor over Mini-DisplayPort?
- Asked by Lloyd R from Melbourne
- Flag as inappropriate Will this allow the new Macbook Pro 15" to drive a monitor over Mini-DisplayPort?
2 Answers from the Community
No, this does not pass the DisplayPort signal, only the Thunderbolt signal. It does support Thunderbolt-native displays such as the old discontinued Apple Thunderbolt Display, some LG Thunderbolt 2 Displays, or even an old non-retina iMac in "Thunderbolt Target Display Mode" (which is how I use it,) but only Thunderbolt displays, not DisplayPort (even Mini DisplayPort). You You would need a "USB-C to Mini DisplayPort" adapter, which uses the DisplayPort signal on the connector rather than the Thunderbolt signal.
- Answered by Ed H from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No. It only passes a Thunderbolt signal. If you use this adapter, then you also need a separate Thunderbolt device to convert Thunderbolt to DisplayPort, such as a Thunderbolt 2 dock. A Thunderbolt 3 dock is preferable because it doesn't require this adapter and has more bandwidth for more devices. However, it is much simpler and cheaper to use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter or cable - no Thunderbolt device required because the Thunderbolt 3 port also supports DisplayPort and USB. A Thunderbolt device may be useful if you want to connect two displays to the same Thunderbolt port, leaving remaining Thunderbolt ports usable for other purposes. This adapter is only useful if one of those Thunderbolt devices is Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can i use this cable to connect my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with Benq SW 320 monitor which has a mini display port version 1.4
- Asked by Aarjav J from New Delhi
- Flag as inappropriate Can i use this cable to connect my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with Benq SW 320 monitor which has a mini display port version 1.4
Will this cable enable you to use the Mid 2010 iMac with Mini Display Port as a display for the new MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt in clam shell mode?
Would this work for target display mode with a 2009 27 inch iMac running macOS Sierra and a 2019 16 inch MacBook pro?
- Asked by Orlando C from Mt Waverley
- Flag as inappropriate Would this work for target display mode with a 2009 27 inch iMac running macOS Sierra and a 2019 16 inch MacBook pro?