Can this cable be used to connect an external SSD to an iPhone or iPad?
2 Answers from the Community
If your external SSD has a USB-C connector on it, yes. Note that while this is the same port as Thunderbolt 3, this will transfer at up to full USB-C speeds only and not Thunderbolt 3 speeds (the cable would be way more expensive if it was a Thunderbolt cable, that's for sure). The biggest aspect to note here is that external storage support on iOS devices is extremely limited and without a special app designed to make the connection possible it could very well not work due to the way iOS is built. It may be worth checking your SSD's documentation to see if that support is available for iOS.
- Answered by Timothy M from Eugene
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
No, it is not supported. There are a Lightning to USB and a Lightning to SD Card adapters available (different to this cable), but they have a very different purpose - to copy files off your digital camera's memory card to your iPhone/iPad's memory. They do not allow file management. In order to manage files on an external storage device, you need to use an external storage with its own app for iOS to do so. For example, there are Wi-Fi-equipped external HDD devices that are compatible with iOS using an app from their (HDD) manufacturer.
- Answered by Арсений Б
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Can I use this to connect a portable SSD to the iPad Pro 9.7 or 12.9 inch models?
- Asked by Corinne C from New South Wales
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect a portable SSD to the iPad Pro 9.7 or 12.9 inch models?)
- Asked about: Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter
can i use external speakers with usb cable.
- Asked by Navi C from Brisbane
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use external speakers with usb cable.)
- Asked about: Apple 30-pin to USB Cable
No answers yet
Can this be used on an iPad
- Asked by Maria G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used on an iPad)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter