Similar questions from the community
Can this eGPU be used for high speed bignum computation?
eGPUs are often used to provide extra power and speed to computationally complex programs. Assuming the Mac has the required languages interpreters and compilers (e.g.), can this eGPU be used this way, or is it strictly designed for graphics support?
- Asked by Douglas H from Santa Fe
- Flag as inappropriate Can this eGPU be used for high speed bignum computation?
Can I use one eGPU for two computers?
I have both a Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro. Can they share the same Blackmagic eGPU at the same time?
- Asked by 佳博 于 from Long Island City
- Flag as inappropriate Can I use one eGPU for two computers?
Can you edit footage from the external drives connected through eGPU USB ports? Is the bandwidth high enough?
I have macbook pro that I use for video editing (premiere, resolve). I want to improve timeline performance. My footage is on the external USB drives. If I connect them through blackmagic eGPU, can I still benefit from gpu acceleration, or does data transfer of footage eats up the whole bandwidth?
Is the eGPU user upgradeable?
Can the user open this chassis and swap out the Radeon Pro 580 for another GPU?
- Asked by Matthew S from Austin
- Flag as inappropriate Is the eGPU user upgradeable?
Will the Blackmagic eGPU work with an iMac that has Thunderbolt 2 ports?
I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with two Thunderbolt 2 ports. I am wondering if this eGPU will work with my computer using a Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adaptor?
- Asked by Jeff H from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate Will the Blackmagic eGPU work with an iMac that has Thunderbolt 2 ports?
What are the physical dimensions of the Blackmagic eGPU?
- Asked by Jon R from Crossville
- Flag as inappropriate What are the physical dimensions of the Blackmagic eGPU?
Does eGPU reduce heat in macbook pro?
Hello, wondering if this eGPU would help keep the fans off on my macbook pro while gaming? I tried gaming solely on my macbook pro and it was getting really hot and noisy with the fans at full tilt. I got the Radeon Pro 560 in my macbook pro with 3.1 Ghz processor but I am worried about excessive heat and fan overdrive in the system. I am also not seeing a pro model on apple's site, is the pro model with the Radeon RX Vega 56 available? The cooling aspect is most important for me.
- Asked by Lucas L from Lindsay
- Flag as inappropriate Does eGPU reduce heat in macbook pro?
No answers yet
I am running dense point cloud reconstruction on my mac mini and need a CUDA enabled eGPU. Is this eGPU CUDA enabled? If not, which is CUDA compatible
We are using open source code with Xcode to run dense point cloud reconstruction of 3D spaces from 1,000+ UAS photos. We are running this on our brand-new mac mini with 64GB RAM that is apparently not used by the onboard METAL GPU. The process for a single reconstruction of the dense point cloud is taking well over seven days for a single model. The software needs a CUDA enabled graphics card to run this process in an acceptable timeframe. Is this eGPU CUDA enabled/compatible? If this eGPU is not, do you have a recommendation for an eGPU that is CUDA compatible with the Mac Mini?
- Asked by Timothy M from Pelham
- Flag as inappropriate I am running dense point cloud reconstruction on my mac mini and need a CUDA enabled eGPU. Is this eGPU CUDA enabled? If not, which is CUDA compatible
Despite the older thunderbolts ports, can this be connected using appropriate adapters to a mini mac mid 2011?
I thought the whole concept behind an eGPU was to offload the graphics from the motherboard, thereby offering an improved graphics performance. I fully understand that my mini mac still provides a 10Gb/s limit at the thunderbolt port connection but surely offers an option to drive newer higher resolution monitors within the confines that the eGPU can conceivably produce at that connection speed thereby offering all mac users with a backwards compatible upgrade path, even providing USB 3 if the firmware allows?
Does it support video output via the second Thunderbolt 3 port allowing use of the LG 5K monitor sold by Apple with this eGPU?
- Asked by Andrew H from Elmhurst
- Flag as inappropriate Does it support video output via the second Thunderbolt 3 port allowing use of the LG 5K monitor sold by Apple with this eGPU?
If I use the Blackmagic eGPU, can I use three LG ultra 5k monitors with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3) ???
I have three 5K LG monitors. The two monitors are connected like this. Plug one display into a Thunderbolt 3 port on the left side of my MBP, and the other display into a Thunderbolt 3 port on the right side. If I use the Blackmagic eGPU, can I use three LG ultra 5k monitors?
Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 - 4k via USB-C when connected to BMD eGPU?
1.) Is the TB3 port on this eGPU also USB-C? 2.) If yes, does the BMD eGPU support "DisplayPort alternate mode" over its USB-C connection? Theoretical Setup: ---------------- Mac Mini (2018) > TB3 > BMD eGPU > USB-C > Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 @ 4K
- Asked by Zachary P from Tewksbury
- Flag as inappropriate Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 - 4k via USB-C when connected to BMD eGPU?
Is the Blackmagic eGPU work with a macbook pro? Also is it portable/ functional to take to different working locations?
I study architecture and Design and create 3d renderings and want to improve the graphics processor that I have on my macbook pro- hoping that the Blackmagic eGPU could help to achieve this. I would be taking this Blackmagic eGPU to and from my work space to my home.
- Asked by Alexis T from Henderson
- Flag as inappropriate Is the Blackmagic eGPU work with a macbook pro? Also is it portable/ functional to take to different working locations?