Questions & Answers: Search Results
Similar questions from the community
can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?
I have an 8TB G-Raid Studio drive that I'm trying to connect to my airport extreme via a thunderbolt to ethernet connector for media storage.
My network is setup as follows 2TB Time Capsule --> 8 port gigabit network switch --> Airport Express x 2 & Airport Extreme.
I have a buffalo linkstation connected to the TC for my work server. I wanted to use this raid drive for a media server. I have connected the raid drive to the Airport Extreme using the Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet connector but can't seem to have the drive recognized on the network... How can I fix this?
- Asked by Mujahid M from Upland
- Flag as inappropriate (can i connect an external hard drive to my airport extreme via the thunderbolt to ethernet connector?)
I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?
I understand the speed limitations of ethernet versus Thunderbolt (1GBs vs 10GBs) but my understanding is that the speed that information is acquired/written is based on the speed of the disk itself (i.e. 7200 rpm) or protocol of the drive SATA I/II/II (1.5GBs/3GBs/6GBs).
If I could hook up the NAS drive to Thunderbolt, the performance would be better than my Firewire 800, although marginally, but the price of creating a RAID drive would be fairly inexpensive as diskless NAS is significantly more cost effective than FW800 or Thunderbolt ... (and Thunderbolt only really makes sense with SSD). My real limitation is that I only have USB 2.0 ... or Firewire 800.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
- Asked by Johannes M from Toronto
- Flag as inappropriate (I'm considering purchasing a NAS device, can I turn my NAS drive into a "Thunderbolt" external hard drive with this adapter?)
Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?
If I connect the Mac to a thunderbolt equipped hard drive and then connect the Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter to the hard drive, is it a security risk?
ie. is the hard drive exposed to internet attacks before they reach the Mac?
- Asked by Gregory A
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it a security risk to connect this to a Thunderbolt equipped hard drive?)
can 2 Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters be used for extending a thunderbolt connection
i have a late 2013 intel imac with a trashed screen. thanks to OWC's sub standard adhesive strips for the screen, mine fell out and its trashed. thankfully the motherboard connections are ok. i bought a thunderbolt display because i cant source an in stock replacement display panel. my table will not accommodate two 27" displays. i was wondering if anyone has tired using 2 of these with a cat 5 ethernet cable between them to basically make a long thunderbolt cable. considering the cost of a 10 meter fiber thunderbolt cable and their miserable longevity, it would be awesome if you could use 2 of these to accomplish the same thing.
I would like to move my imac about 15' away and use this cable to connect to my thunderbolt display from the imac.
anyone tried to use 2 of these for a purpose like that ?
- Asked by Joe H from Cocoa
- Flag as inappropriate (can 2 Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters be used for extending a thunderbolt connection)
Can I plug in another computer in the thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Ex, can I plug in a Blue Ray player with internet in the adapter?
Use it like an extra internet connection.
- Asked by Miguel R from Orlando
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I plug in another computer in the thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Ex, can I plug in a Blue Ray player with internet in the adapter?)
Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?
I'm wondering if my Macbook Pro(Late 2012) has the capability, and if so how to adjust the network settings to cater the needs of a Sonos Bridge to emit its own wireless network so I can play my Sonos speakers from a wireless network from a hotel. ( I won't have access to a hardline ethernet port or router ) I'm going on vacation and am hoping to bring my speaker to have some tunes with in Mexico. If my computer is capable of supporting the right internet accessibility to the bridge I will most definitely be buying this thunderbolt to ethernet adapter to connect the Bridge and thus connect all my Sonos speakers. I'm at a loss and not sure how to understand and be sure my network settings can receive a wireless signal and create an output from my computer to the bridge, or if this adapter is only for inputting a hardline ethernet internet cord for my macbook. Boils down to an input/output question with wireless internet network capabilities. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated as my trip is in three weeks time! Thanks again. - Rob
- Asked by Robert W from Tonka Bay
- Flag as inappropriate (Sonos Bridge and Play 3 compatability with Macbook Pro and this Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter?)
Can Thunderbolt Ethernet Adapter be downstream connected to any Thunderbolt peripheral so Ethernet is available on connect to Thunderbolt accessory
This would allow a simple dock configuration. Use WiFi while in the field but connect to Thunderbolt Display or peripheral and get direct Ethernet wired connection. This would save the second Thunderbolt port for other hardware connections such as Pro Video edit/control equipment. If such a connection would work with the adapter it would be nice to be able to control it with granularity.
Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5
- Asked by Bernard W from Clinton
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the thunderbolt to gigabit Ethernet adapter with iPhone 5)
Does this adapter work on previous generation thunderbolt macs?
- Asked by Joel A from Virginia
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this adapter work on previous generation thunderbolt macs?)
Is the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter best to transfer data from an old (2004) MBP to a current MBP? Is firewire to thunderbolt cable better?
- Asked by Leslie C from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate (Is the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter best to transfer data from an old (2004) MBP to a current MBP? Is firewire to thunderbolt cable better?)
What is the best adapters for migration assistant? 2008 macbook to 07/2014 macbook pro. The ethernet to thunderbolt adapter does nothing.
- Asked by Michael S from San Antonio
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the best adapters for migration assistant? 2008 macbook to 07/2014 macbook pro. The ethernet to thunderbolt adapter does nothing.)