No, the LG UltraFine 4K Display of 2019 does not have a built-in camera. But the LG UltraFine 5K Display has one.
Questions & Answers for LG UltraFine 4K Display
37 Questions from the Community
What is the wattage and frequency response range for built-in speakers?
- Asked by John G from Centennial
- Flag as inappropriate What is the wattage and frequency response range for built-in speakers?
If I connect my ipad pro to the display via thunderbolt, will I get display and sound from the monitor?
Follow up, if yes, does the ipad have to stay on and open?
- Asked by Anthony K from Skokie
- Flag as inappropriate If I connect my ipad pro to the display via thunderbolt, will I get display and sound from the monitor?
I have an early 2019 13" MacBook Pro (4 thunderbolt ports), will my MBP support 2 of these displays?
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB graphics
- Asked by Mario H from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate I have an early 2019 13" MacBook Pro (4 thunderbolt ports), will my MBP support 2 of these displays?
- Short version:
Will it work? No. At least not in my case, no.
Can it charge MacBook? No.
- Long version:
First of all, we need to know what we can expect. 4K 60 Hz video signal requires more than 10 Gbps bandwidth, which exceeds the bandwidth of Thunderbolt 1. Therefore the maximum video quality we can achieve with A1398 is 4K 30 Hz. Well, this is not acceptable for gaming but should be enough for photo editing. Do not expect 4K 60 Hz on your (and my) MacBook.
I have both Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (A1398) and Ultrafine 4K 24 Inch. To pair them up I recently purchased the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and Apple Thunderbolt 2 Cable (2m). Sadly this setup didn't work as expected.
My MacBook can recognize the monitor, including model, resolution, color profile, and even brightness adjustment. It can also read the hard drives connected to the monitor. Unfortunately, the monitor kept dark without any reaction. Not even backlight.
My MacBook Pro can get device information from system information, Thunderbolt. It is also outputting 4K 60 Hz video signal. However the signal is somehow not recognized by Ultrafine. Sadly Ultrafine does not have any buttons or other interfaces, so I have no way to get more information from monitor side.
- Any other methods?
Since the thunderbolt method does not work on my MacBook, we can try consider connecting through USB-C with DP Alter.
We need a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter, and a DisplayPort to USB-C adapter.
There are many USB-C to DisplayPort but very few of them work in both direction. Be careful when choosing them.
But I am not sure if this would work or not.
We may discuss more on this if you are interested.
- Answered by Zhijin C from 豊中市
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with a Mid 2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina? Can I charge my macbook with an adaptor of some sort?)
It says this display works for all iPad Pro models, but doesn’t lost 10.5”. Does that mean it isn’t compatible with the 10.5” iPad Pro?
If you purchase the lightening cable - hdmi converter cable, then shouldn’t this also work with the
- Asked by Lindsey W from Westminster
- Flag as inappropriate It says this display works for all iPad Pro models, but doesn’t lost 10.5”. Does that mean it isn’t compatible with the 10.5” iPad Pro?
No answers yet
Can I connect a TB3 hub (like CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock) to the second TB3 port. While plugging in my 2017 Macbook Pro 13" to the other TB3 port?
I understand that you can plug in USB-C stuff to the USB-C ports but what about plugging in anything
- Asked by Yaziel V from King George
- Flag as inappropriate Can I connect a TB3 hub (like CalDigit USB-C Pro Dock) to the second TB3 port. While plugging in my 2017 Macbook Pro 13" to the other TB3 port?
No answers yet
Yes, the stand attaches to the back in a way that is elegant but difficult to see in these shots. It comes off simply by moving a latch. On the rear photo one can see the latch on the bottom right hand corner of the inner rectangular piece. The VESA mount holes are under that panel. The manual, which you can find on LG's site, has reasonable depictions of attaching the display to a mount.
- Answered by Michaelian E from Seattle
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can a wall mount be used with this screen to hold it on the wall because I can't see any holes?)
Can I Connect Two MacBook Pros, and Switch Between Them?
I have two modern (USB-C) MacBook Pros: one personal one and one for work. Could I connect both of
- Asked by Sean P from Smyrna
- Flag as inappropriate Can I Connect Two MacBook Pros, and Switch Between Them?
The only way I can get this to work is to disconnect the cable from the back of the monitor.
iMac Pro connected to LG 4K using TB3 port closest to stand and using the TB3 cable that came with the monitor. Main use.
Second TB3 port I used the USBC cable that came with the monitor. This is connected to monitor, but not to portable device most of the time, but is used to connect work MBP or iMac Pro. It will charge the devices, but will not switch unless I disconnect the iMAC Pro.
Even when the iMac pro is a sleep the MBP Pro will not work with second device unless I disconnect the cable. Not a huge problem, but be aware.
If you determine a better way let me know. Thanks
- Answered by Michael A from Omaha
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I Connect Two MacBook Pros, and Switch Between Them?)
Can this monitor be used while running Windows via Bootcamp?
- Asked by Rommie J from Berkeley
- Flag as inappropriate Can this monitor be used while running Windows via Bootcamp?
I am running the lg monitor and a Wacom Cintiq on my Mac with bootcamp
- Answered by Rocko B from Phoenix
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this monitor be used while running Windows via Bootcamp?)
It works alright. First, make sure you plug the adapter into the correct USB-C slot (the ones with outlines). Secondly, on my Mac Pro (2013) with thunderbolt 2, I have 0 nada control over anything but resolution, rotation, and color gamut. The ambient light sensor doesn't work and it seems to be on full whack brightness. But, I compared it to a thunderbolt 2 display and my iMac retina and it's beautiful. Just need sunglasses when in the dark.
- Answered by Christopher C from Frederick
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this work with older macs (I have the 2013 MP) via the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adaptor?)
Can this display rotate into a portrait configuration?
- Asked by Rylan M from Murrells Inlet
- Flag as inappropriate Can this display rotate into a portrait configuration?
The display's base stand only can go up and down. It cannot rotate. You would have to purchase a VESA compatible monitor arm and mount it on the.
- Answered by Michael R from New York
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this display rotate into a portrait configuration?)
The display only has USB-C ports, so you won't be able to connect it directly. However, Apple does have a "USB-C to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter" that you could use to connect your headphones to the display.
- Answered by Kyle C from Campbell
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does this monitor have a headphone socket so I can connect it to my external Bose speakers?)
Will this LG UltraFine 4k Display power the new 16 inch MacBook Pro?
- Asked by Alan M from San Diego
- Flag as inappropriate Will this LG UltraFine 4k Display power the new 16 inch MacBook Pro?
Not always... once your GPU and cooling fan kick in, the 85W just won’t suffice and your battery will slowly drain. I’m facing that problem now and Apple suggests I use the supplied brick charger to power up my 16” MBP. That eats up an extra thunderbolt port on my Mac...
- Answered by Shahar S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this LG UltraFine 4k Display power the new 16 inch MacBook Pro?)