I have a pair of 3.5 mm plug in Sennheiser headphones with studio quality sound. Will the Lightning to 3.5 mm jack compromise sound quality?
Sennheiser 3.5 mm headphones sound quality with Lightning adapter.
1 Answer from the Community
Likely, yes, the sound quality will not be as good as it would be plugging into an iPhone 6/6S generation with headphone jack.
This is because the headphones take analog input signals. In the older 6/6S and prior generations, that analog signal was generated by the circuits on the phone for the jack. With the lighting adapter, the digital audio must first be transmitted over the lighting interface (can we assume there is no degradation due to resampling in that?) Then the circuit IN that small dongle must convert that digital signal (using power it also gets over the lightning link) into analog. That circuit - if it is not of the same quality as the on-the-phone D/A converters, will produce a lesser quality analog signal.
- Answered by Thomas S from Sammamish
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Does this case affect the sound from the ringtone
- Asked by Jason W
- Flag as inappropriate (Does this case affect the sound from the ringtone)
- Asked about: iPhone X Leather Case — (PRODUCT)RE…
Can I use this to connect my iPhone5 to my Bose Portable Sound Dock?
- Asked by Ashley G from Macomb
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use this to connect my iPhone5 to my Bose Portable Sound Dock?)
- Asked about: Lightning to 30-pin Adapter (0.2m)