Can this connect through the LG UltraFine 4k Display to provide ethernet to the MacBook Pro with Touchbar?
Curious if one could leave the ethernet connected through the USB-C ports on the back of the LG UltraFine 4K Display (or 5K Display) so one would only need to plug in the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connector coming from the monitor to get (a) display sync (b) power (c) ethernet.
3 Answers from the Community
Yes that works fine. I run with two ethernet connections, both on the back of the display. Single connection to the MBP. Very very nice. The only issue is if you use a gigabit ethernet adapter connected to the display, it tops out around 350 Mbps due to the ports only being USB2 capable. The 5K monitor (TB3) does not have that limitation.
- Answered by David G from Indianapolis
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
I have an issue using the LG 4K UltraFine Display, the max throughput I get ~50mbps where if I connect it directly to my Mac Book Pro I get my internet providers max of ~200mbps. I have sent the monitor back twice for repair each time It came back performing the same, poorly.
- Answered by Robert B from Orlando
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes, I concur, it does all a-c questions asked (display sync+power+ethernet network). I have two of the LG 5K's, with one having this WHITE Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adapter (exclusive to Apple) in one of it's USB-C ports.
I'm on Virgin Media in the UK (advertised speed: 200 down/12 up), and with this plugged into the back of one of my LG 5K's I was able to get 220 down/12 up! That was during a quiet period with low contention on the line (night time), but certainly proves that this works as expected on any of the three 5Gbps USB-C ports on the LG 5K displays.
- Answered by James S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?
- Asked by Jan C from Southport
- Flag as inappropriate (Can LG Ultrafine 4k Display be used with a MacBook Air from 2015?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 4K Display
will LG UltraFine 4K Display work with Mac Pro?
- Asked by Patrick T from Charlotte
- Flag as inappropriate (will LG UltraFine 4K Display work with Mac Pro?)
- Asked about: LG UltraFine 5K Display
Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?
- Asked by Dairien B from Chula Vista
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this adapter allow me successfully display a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro (HDMI output) on a LG UltraFine 4K monitor (USB-C input)?)
- Asked about: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter