Does the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Support AVB over Ethernet?
- Asked by fn from Oakland
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Support AVB over Ethernet?)
2 Answers from the Community
No it doesn't.
AVB is only supported by the Thunderbolt chipset, so you require a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.
The Belkin USB-C to Ethernet enumerates as a USB to Ethernet adapter, and the USB interface on the Mac cannot handle AVB.
I have tried both the white and black versions, they are exactly the same.
I have searched for a true thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Ethernet adapter but have not found one. The only way currently is to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. This allows me upto 128 x 128 audio channels in the MacBook Pro 15 2016.
I am not sure if one of these Thunderbolt 3 docks with Ethernet will work, haven't tested it.
- Answered by Godwin M from Beaverton
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It should do, as "Audio Video Bridging" is a standard finally ratified and implemented from c.2014 I believe, and is thus highly likely to be supported by devices released in late-2016 and beyond.
As ever, as with all tech, the only way is to buy and test, and return the product if it doesn't fit your requirements (preferably being helpful by advising others on here, by adding a comment). Thanks.
- Answered by James S
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Is there a usb-c to ethernet adapter?
- Asked by Scott W from Mississauga
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there a usb-c to ethernet adapter?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
No answers yet