How is this model different from the previous adapter? (prior to March 2012)
This adapter is listed as new in March 2012 but does not functionally sound different from the previous model.
- Asked by Eric S from Ottawa
- Flag as inappropriate (How is this model different from the previous adapter? (prior to March 2012))
3 Answers from the Community
The new version of the Apple Digital AV Adapter (Part Number MD098ZM/A) differs from the previous version in the following ways:
1) Smaller multi-pin connector to the iPhone / iPad
2) Connector is retained by a locking mechanism, so the plug cannot fall out of the base of the iPhone, or the iPad. I found this to be an issue with the previous version of this cable.
3) Device requires a firmware update. At the time of writing, Version 5.1 for iPhone 4S has just been released. I discovered that this update was required in order to make this cable work. I became aware of this due to the 'Device requires a Firmware Update' warning that I received when connecting the new cable.
4) Cable is supplied in a small box, rather than a clear plastic packet.
I actually bought the previous version from a well-known online store, saw that the part number was different, and returned it when I saw this new version on the Apple Store. At the time of writing, no other outlets seem to carry this accessory. However, I consider that it's worth the extra £6 (I paid £35 including delivery), simply for the secure locking mechanism that prevents the cable from being accidentally pulled out of the iPhone or iPad. For me, this was a big problem with the previous version of this adapter.
I have not yet tested the item in detail, however intial tests have proven that the device works well for BBC iPlayer, plus other apps including a CD+G Karaoke player that I use.
Although expensive for what it is, the Apple Digital AV Adapter provides an industry-standard HDMI socket, which carries a clean and sharp 720p Digital Video output. Great accessory for those with an iPhone 4S or iPad.
- Answered by Alan D
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
It will not display a compatibility message on the iPad 3.
- Answered by Taylor L from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
I believe it is just a packaging change, as the original version didn't show the iPad 3. However I've not yet had chance to check both side by side yet.
- Answered by Matt T from Exeter
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.
- Asked by Brian L from South San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you clone a MAC address with this model? I know you couldn't do it with previous models.)
- Asked about: AirPort Extreme
As a PC user wanting this is a router and an external hard drive. Is there any difference between this and the previous 2011 Time Capsule model?
- Asked by Ronan M
- Flag as inappropriate (As a PC user wanting this is a router and an external hard drive. Is there any difference between this and the previous 2011 Time Capsule model?)
- Asked about: AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB