How do I connect Thunderbolt 3/USB-C (2019 iMac) to Firewire 800 (2010 iMac)?
I am buying the new mid-2019 iMac and would like to transfer the contents of my old mid-2010 iMac to it. The Apple site is silent as to the type of T-bolt version is on their FW adapter.
- Asked by Kevin G from Waldport
- Flag as inappropriate How do I connect Thunderbolt 3/USB-C (2019 iMac) to Firewire 800 (2010 iMac)?
2 Answers from the Community
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to FireWire Adapter uses Thunderbolt 1. That doesn't matter because it is compatible with Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 (with adapter). Use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter to connect the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter to the 2019 iMac. Then connect a FireWire cable between the FireWire adapter and the 2010 iMac. Then boot the 2010 iMac in Target Disk Mode.
- Answered by Joseph V from Fort Langley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
Here's how to make the connection: Male (M) FW800 to Male (M) FW800 cable > Female (F) FW800 to M Tbolt 2 > F Tbolt 2 to M Tbolt 3.
- Answered by Kevin G from Waldport
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Does the "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" work together with the "Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter"?
How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
- Asked by Markos A from Carss Park
- 20 Jun. 2012
- Flag as inappropriate How do i connect my fw800 devices to thunderbolt macbook pro?
How do I transfer data from my iMac without thunderbolt (only firewire) to my new Macbook Air with thunderbolt?