Can the USB-C to Lightning cable with an Apple 29W, 30W, 61W, or 87W USB-C Power Adapter be used for charging of an iPhone 5/5S?
I understand it will NOT be fast charging as the phone is an older model iPhone5/5S, however, I want to make sure it will not damage my phone.
3 Answers from the Community
Yes, but it won't support fast charge.
- Answered by Nicholas C from Basking Ridge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 1
You can use this cable to charge any device with a Lightning connector, so yes. The fast charging feature (enabled by USB-C) is only available for 2017 and newer devices though, which is the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X or future devices. It also works for the 2017 or later iPad Pros.
As for safety, Apple-certified Lightning cables (so obviously first-party cables like this one) have a chip in the Lightning end that works to ensure your device doesn't get damaged or become a safety hazard; safety issues with charging cables occur when you use a third-party cable that is not MFi (Made For iPhone) certified, or when your cable is frayed or otherwise compromised. This cable will work fine for the iPhone 5 and newer, provided you have something to plug the USB-C end into.
- Answered by Timothy M from Eugene
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 2
Yes this will work, although as you said it will not provide fast charging. It will charge as normal.
- Answered by Jake L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer 3
Can I SAFELY charge the Airpods using the lightning to USB-C cable connected to the 29w USB C power adapter?
- Asked by Gene Joshmer D from Mandaluyong
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I SAFELY charge the Airpods using the lightning to USB-C cable connected to the 29w USB C power adapter?)
- Asked about: AirPods
Can this adapter be used with a Lightning to USB Cable to charge an iPad or iPhone using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter?
- Asked by David G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this adapter be used with a Lightning to USB Cable to charge an iPad or iPhone using the 29W USB-C Power Adapter?)
- Asked about: USB-C to USB Adapter
Hi, Can this be used with 29w USB-C Power Adapter to charge mackbook?
- Asked by Syed Kazmi H from Adelaide
- Flag as inappropriate (Hi, Can this be used with 29w USB-C Power Adapter to charge mackbook?)
- Asked about: Belkin USB-C to USB-C Cable (USB 3.…