Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
734 Questions from the Community
Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?
My landlord's wireless router is only 802.11b, whilst this is okay for their internet access (which is only 4Mbps) it means that when I am trying to use home sharing on Apple TV the connection is really bad. Can I attach this by ethernet cable to the existing router and stream from iTunes on my MacBook Air to Apple TV at a much faster rate or will the wireless network it creates be restricted by the internet download speed?
- Asked by David G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?)
With any network (wireless or hard wired), the whole system is only as fast as the slowest part as it acts like a bottle neck.
In your case, if the music or show is already downloaded onto your Mac, then it sounds like you may be on your limits distance wise from the router and it is cutting in and out. If signal strength is good, and you are streaming, then adding the Express won't change anything.
To check this out before splashing out your hard earned money, hard wire your components utilising a LAN cable (CAT5 or similar) and if it is improved, then it is the wireless network that is acting as the weak point.
Short answer, if streaming and hard wired you still have issues, then Express won't do anything for you. If it is good, buy it as it will help. My thoughts without knowing exact details, upgrade the internet plan.
- Answered by Peter C from Swanbourne
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can this be used to speed up an Apple TV connection?)
Can I use Airport Express to print from an iPhone 5s on a non wireless printer via use of the USB data / charging cable?
- Asked by Lori S from Colorado Springs
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use Airport Express to print from an iPhone 5s on a non wireless printer via use of the USB data / charging cable?)
On a LAN - 1 wired device. On Wifi - not a limit you will be likely to exceed no.
If you need more than 1 wired device, buy a switch and connect that to the LAN port.
- Answered by Bobak F
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is there limit to the amount of devices that can be connected by Ethernet or wifi?)
can this create your own network to browse the net like email facebook
- Asked by Mr Michael B C from Floreat
- Flag as inappropriate (can this create your own network to browse the net like email facebook)
Yes, you can create your own wi-fi network, sharing internet connection with your devices.
- Answered by Augusto D from Cupertino
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can this create your own network to browse the net like email facebook)
Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?
Can the new (June 11 2012) AirPort Express Base Station extend an existing network by connecting an ethernet cable from an AirPort Extreme to the Express's WAN port, thereby making the Express both a wireless access point and also an ethernet port via its LAN part?
- Asked by Bruce V from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the new AirPort Express extend an existing network with an ethernet cable from AirPort Extreme to Express's WAN port?)
Yes, you just have to turn off the DHCP server (I think it's called "Off, bridge mode" - BTW, that's complete networking nonsense). I have it like that with the original Express and it works like a charm :) And if you have static IPs (if you don't know what that means - you don't) you have to set them up on the Extreme.
Can AirPlay Sync music over multiple devices? i.e. Apple TV and an Airport Express?
I currently have an Apple TV in the living room with my Network set up of my Time Cap. With the AirPlay feature of the Airport Express can I sync music being played off the Apple TV to the AE in an other room?
- Asked by Mark H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPlay Sync music over multiple devices? i.e. Apple TV and an Airport Express?)
Yes. I just did this yesterday. You plug the express in to your wired network via a cat 5 cable. (Open jack on your router or switch to the WAN jack on the express). Your router will assign the express an IP address on your wired network. You then configure the new wireless portion of you network on the express by either using a PC/Mac or you can even use the wifi settings in an iOS device.
Took me less than 15 minutes to do from the time I opened the express box and I used an iPad.
- Answered by Michael B from New Market
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can you make your wired network wireless with this device?)
What is the radiatioin level ?
- Asked by Ricardo A from Miami
- Flag as inappropriate (What is the radiatioin level ?)
how to connect to amp with rca inputs audio connections to amp seems i need the headphone jack to rca but can i also use the usb or eithernet
would using the eithernet or usb be a better audio option to use iphone etc and play thru my current amplifier?
Will this stop my Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air cutting out?
Often my Zeppelin Air cuts out even though the WiFi is running fine on my Mac. If I connect this Express to my Zeppelin will it stop the cut outs?
- Asked by Rowan A
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this stop my Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air cutting out?)
i'm looking to create a mini wireless network to use ipads in my classroom.
Our school does not have a wireless network so would I be able to plug this into a LAN point and away we go?
- Asked by Darren R
- Flag as inappropriate (i'm looking to create a mini wireless network to use ipads in my classroom.)
No, you can only extend a wifi network that originates from Apple equipment - Time capsule, Airport Extreme/Express. You can use it to join a BT Home Hub wifi network in order to provide AirPlay in a remote location or for ethernet internet access for a device that does not have wifi. Ive tested this with a BT Home Hub 3.
- Answered by Oliver J
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will AirPort Express Base Station work as a wifi network extension with BT Home Hub3?)
I have an 1,800 sqft condo. Will the AP Express give me enough wireless coverage, or do I need to move to the AP Extreme?
- Asked by Daniel L from Westminster
- Flag as inappropriate (I have an 1,800 sqft condo. Will the AP Express give me enough wireless coverage, or do I need to move to the AP Extreme?)
It depends on the amount of obstructions, so it's difficult to provide you an accurate answer. If the Airport is centrally located, and has few obstructions, the Express should be able to cover your condo. However, it's safer to get an Airport Extreme, and add another AP or extender if it's needed.
- Answered by Steven S from San Francisco
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I have an 1,800 sqft condo. Will the AP Express give me enough wireless coverage, or do I need to move to the AP Extreme?)
can set up 2 airports to the same PC to cover more space signal
- Asked by Jorge V from North Little Rock
- Flag as inappropriate (can set up 2 airports to the same PC to cover more space signal)
What specific features does this offer that the previous Airport Express doesn't? I'm not yet 'sold'.
Aside from the broader range (2.4 or 5.0 GHz spectrum [which, let's be honest with each other, iPhone can't connect on 5.0 GHz]), what very specific features are added in this Airport Express in comparison to the last? Design wise, I actually liked the way the previous generation looked; it was so convenient to travel with. I'd just plug it directly into the wall next to the router with Internet.
Does this generation support separate Guest Networks, like the Airport Extreme and newer Time Capsule does? How does the range compare to the Airport Extreme? Is it just a scaled down Airport Extreme (which it seems is what it looks like)?
- Asked by Michael F from Fair Lawn
- Flag as inappropriate (What specific features does this offer that the previous Airport Express doesn't? I'm not yet 'sold'.)
Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?
I already have a wireless router, and wired printer. I want to extend my wireless range, and I also want to be able to turn my wired printer into a wireless one, along with my wired speakers into wireless speakers. Is this possible?
- Asked by Xavier S from Washington
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use the AirPort Express to connect to my existing wireless and then make my printer and music play wirelessly?)
What is the best Router for Apple iPod Touch ? Can I use the AirPort Express base station in Ghana(Africa)
I use the iPod Touch to go on Skype or Face Time when I am in Africa
can the airport express be located in a greenhouse (humid)?
My wireless signal does not reach the greenhouse, but I have a LAN connection in the greenhouse. I would like to place a Airport Express in this building to have wireless. Can the unit take the humid conditions?
- Asked by Dan D from Sudbury
- Flag as inappropriate (can the airport express be located in a greenhouse (humid)?)
Is it compatible with streamyx broadband from TM?
- Asked by Nazrul Idzham K from Pekan
- Flag as inappropriate (Is it compatible with streamyx broadband from TM?)
- Answered by Carrington W from Saint Louis
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I use this to extend my dual band Time Capsule WiFi network round my house?)