Questions & Answers for AirPort Express
733 Questions from the Community
What is the difference between the new Airport Express and the current Airport Extreme? They look the same except for the number of LAN ports.Best Answer:
The Express has AirTunes while the Extreme and Time Capsule do not. But the Extreme can connect to Hard Drives for access across the network, has extra ethernet ports, and theoretically has a broader range.
- Answered by Timothy M from Hillsboro
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What is the difference between the new Airport Express and the current Airport Extreme? They look the same except for the number of LAN ports.)
can i view my computer on my tv?
- Asked by James B from Buffalo
- Flag as inappropriate (can i view my computer on my tv?)
Yes you can. Using the Apple TV 2nd generation and later, which lets you mirror your IOS or Mac device onto your TV - this device lets you connect speakers and a normal printer and turn them into airplay devices when they are connected.
- Answered by Bennett B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i view my computer on my tv?)
Can AirPort Extreme be used with Gateway 2 wire DSL router?
- Asked by Karen G from Davis
- Flag as inappropriate (Can AirPort Extreme be used with Gateway 2 wire DSL router?)
Absolutely! Depending on how you want the airport extreme to function. It will, function as a switch behind your 2wire router, or...you can configure your 2wire as a RG (Residential Gateway) which will then allow ALL traffic to the Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme will then control (issue) the individual local IP addresses for your devices. Your network will not be like all of your neighbors i.e. (2wirexxx) in fact, wireless users nearby will no longer see your 2wire device. THey will see the airport extreme depending on what you name it (as an SSID) The WPA2 security on the airport extreme is very secure and you can choose to make your Airport Extreme invisible, which does not make it any more secure. It is very easy to change your network access PW, through the airport utility. In addition, all of your devices behind the router (iPod, iPad, iPhone, Mac, PC) will share a common (public) IP address. This speeds up everything. THe airport extreme is much more robust. This also gives YOU complete control of all things in and out of your network. PLUS, if you enable the guest network, you can limit access. I use this feature for parental controls. So the kids have their network. Adults have their own. Works really well. Mine handles media server, DVR, 3 apple TVs, Ipod, ipad, 2 iphones, one power pc G5 mac, macbook air, and 3 pc laptops with NO troubles. Best $200 router / switch there is....in my humble opinion.
- Answered by Bill B from Red Oak
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can AirPort Extreme be used with Gateway 2 wire DSL router?)
Yes, go to Wireless Tab settings and chose "Join Existing Network". Enter your WiFi password and you are all set!
- Answered by Jesse S from Quartz Hill
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can I use it to extend the range from my sky router?)
Kenneth has a very simple question that very few people understand unfortunatelly. I wondered about this myself, because I would very much be able to stream hi-res audio via AE. I ended up calling Apple Support to get a straight answer. After waiting on the phoneline and eventually be put trough to a person that should have been able to answer, he really did not understand the question. But eventually he was able to ask a colleage and the answer was clear! NO, the new AE is not technically upgraded, same resolution as before 16-bit wordlenght and samplerate "locked" to 44,1kHz. So Apple confirmed Apple TV still has the edge with 16/48, but it dont do much difference for me.
I bought the new AE later only because the the extra ethernet port, that was practical for me so I could connect my Apple TV to new AE LAN port.
And I can confirm the new AE still is 16/44, I see the sample rate on my DAC. If the audio from my computer is 24/96.... AE will still down sample to 16/44 as always..too bad!!
If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?
I'm moving, and will be getting a Comcast modem/router combo for cable and internet. Can my Mac be set up wi-fi without connecting it to an ethernet cable?
- Asked by Denise W from Roseville
- Flag as inappropriate (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
Currently, I have this setup.
Comcast modem/router combo -> ethernet (could be wireless if you wanted it that way) - > airport express.
This gives you wireless through the airport express.
Also, you could just plug the express into a wall on the opposite side of the house and tell it to extend (or join) an existing network.
Whatever your end goal is.
- Answered by Kyle B from Knoxville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (If I have a router do I need Airport Express to go wireless?)
Do I need to change airport express settings when I get a new modem?
I can see my network name, but the devices can't connect to it.
- Asked by Bailey M from Honolulu
- Flag as inappropriate (Do I need to change airport express settings when I get a new modem?)
If your AE is connected to your modem as DHCP then nothing needs to be changed, just plug and play, all the settings will be carried out with the new modem as it was before.
- Answered by Francisco M from Santa Cruz
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Do I need to change airport express settings when I get a new modem?)
Absoutely , as long as the printer is configured properly there would be no issues. Usually best bet to create a static connection to the printer if it is to stay always connected and on as they usually do(they go to deep sleep but are always on) You get the best trouble free operation that way
- Answered by Todd L from Burnaby
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can one of the ethernet ports be used to plug in a printer instead of the USB port?)
what is the airport Express for ?
im going to buy an macbook air and i see the airport express so i want to know for what it is it for so i know if need it or not
- Asked by Sandra N from Tampa
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the airport Express for ?)
Moden - centurylink zyxel C1000? Does the modem need to be in bridge mode or will the airport express take care of everything during setup?Answer
The existing modem settings do not need to be changed in any way by the user. Airport Express takes care of everything during setup. For me, the only issue I had was that initially I keep receiving a message that " an unexpected error occurred. Please try again". The solution was to power down the entire system, which was suggested in the written setup guide. Once the system came back up the setup was very easy and everything now works perfectly. In fact, I did network speed tests before and after and found a significant speed increase after adding Airport Express. The average download speed was 70% faster on what was already a good network. Airport Express is a very impressive little piece of equipment! It is well worth the price.
- Answered by Charlie C from Eden
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Moden - centurylink zyxel C1000? Does the modem need to be in bridge mode or will the airport express take care of everything during setup?)
can i use with sony laptops or hp laptops
I need a router that will work with apple ipad, sony vaio and hp laptop. Does apple have such a product?
- Asked by Marylou A from Espanola
- Flag as inappropriate (can i use with sony laptops or hp laptops)
YES - I recently upgraded to Apple airport extreme (extended with AP express in the living room). VERY seamless installation. On our home network, we have a MBP, Apple TV, Compaq laptop, Sony Vaio, HP laptop, Dell desktop, 2 HP desktops, and 3 Xbox's. However, we do not have an IPad (yet). Installation and network support are very equivalent throughout our home.
For any PC device, you will need to download and install "Bonjour". This will enable any of your "non-apple" devices to install and operate on your network.
Hope this helps!
- Answered by Robert H. L from Apo
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use with sony laptops or hp laptops)
Can I set up my airport bought in France in the US
- Asked by Jean-louis H from Scottsdale
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I set up my airport bought in France in the US)
- Answered by David H from Cotati
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I set up my airport bought in France in the US)
what is the telephone number top order an airport express?
- Asked by Jane E from Santa Barbara
- Flag as inappropriate (what is the telephone number top order an airport express?)
Is there any configuration conflict of AirPort Express with online purchases on PSN?
- Asked by Rafael J from Rio De Janeiro
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there any configuration conflict of AirPort Express with online purchases on PSN?)
This is just a router and you will have to have your modem plug into it, your modem is the part that should be compatible with Xfinity.
- Answered by Tyler G from Rockledge
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (can i use it with xfinity)
airport express connection to stereo
- Asked by Derrick S from Portland
- Flag as inappropriate (airport express connection to stereo)
On the Express there is a port for a mini plug that is used for audio out. Use a mini-to-RCA cable or a cable that connects from the audio port to optical/Toslink if your amp/receiver have an optical Toslink connection.
- Answered by Earl D from Rochester
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (airport express connection to stereo)
Will this device save me data GB on my monthly verizon bill?
- Asked by Paula D from Englewood
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this device save me data GB on my monthly verizon bill?)
- Answered by R. L from Fountain Valley
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this device save me data GB on my monthly verizon bill?)
Can the new Airport Express Base Station extend the network from a new Airport Extreme Base Station AND use Airplay at the same time?
My old Airport Express cannot do both, you either have to set it up to create a network, join an existing network to extend it, or set it up for AirTunes. If the new one could do both, I'll buy it.Best Answer:
Yes, you can extend the network from your AirPort Extreme Base Station and use AirPlay via this AirPort Express Base Station simultaneously.
Actually, for that matter, the first generation AirPort Express is also compatible with the same feature. I have the first generation AirPort Express and currently using that same setup. I would check for updates for your Mac and AirPort devices, as that is possibly the reason why yours is not working.
After it is fully up-to-date, open AirPort Utility, select your AirPort Express, choose "Edit", and under the "Wireless" tab, choose "Extend a wireless network." Then on the next tab ("AirPlay"), check the box that says "Enable AirPlay."
- Answered by Jeffrey Y from Westmont
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can the new Airport Express Base Station extend the network from a new Airport Extreme Base Station AND use Airplay at the same time?)