Questions & Answers for AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB
577 Questions from the Community
Can you set up the AirPort Time Capsule to automatically back up photos, videos, files, etc. from multiple sources, i.e. MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc?
My family is mostly an apple family, with a few iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, plus a couple pcs, but want to be able to store everything in one local place, but not have to manually add the new items every time we want to back it up. Does the Capsule have an auto backup feature in addition to the time capsule thing for the macs that works with the iPhones and iPads?
- Asked by Andrew S from Fayetteville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can you set up the AirPort Time Capsule to automatically back up photos, videos, files, etc. from multiple sources, i.e. MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc?)
No, it doesn't have apps for iPhone/Ipad.
Extending a wifi-network with TC
I have an Airport Express and am buying an Airport Time Capsule, can I connect the Time Capsule to the modem as my main router, and then put the Express upstairs to extend the WiFi range and not have it physically connected to the modem or the Airport Time Capsule - just plugged in somewhere? Thanks
- Asked by Marla R from Essex
- Flag as inappropriate (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
Yes, It's perfect for that. I've used two Express units, one as the base and main wireless router and turned the second into an extender. Very easy to do, I set aside an hour for the task, I was done in about five minutes. You just have to have the two devices next to each other for pairing, then unplug your extender and move it to another location within range of the base unit. Be mindful these devices communicate with each other via radio waves, if there is a brick wall or other dense barrier (multiple walls) between, you can loose signal strength. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the best position. Hope that helps.
- Answered by Matt G from Crockett
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Extending a wifi-network with TC)
can I connect two time capsules together
- Asked by Angela Z from Woodcliff Lake
- Flag as inappropriate (can I connect two time capsules together)
How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2
Is there a way to access photos from my 3T Apple airport time capsule using my iPad Air 2?
- Asked by Ramesh P from Bartlett
- Flag as inappropriate (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
Yes, I do this with my Time Capsule, just download an app onto your iPad called 'FileExplorer' and you'll be able to access and play/view save any file which is saved on your capsule. There are 2 versions of the app - i use the free one which will allow you to access most files but you may wish to go for the paid version.
hope this helps you
- Answered by Aaron B
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (How to access photo from Apple airport time capsule using iPad Air 2)
Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?
My house is wired with ethernet jacks everywhere but my Xfinity router/cable modem combo isn't strong enough. I would like to know if I can set up the Time Capsule as a Wireless Access Point for the current network. As a separate question, I would also like to know how to set up the Time Capsule as a separate Wifi network in the house (new name/password) using the Airport Time Capsule. How do I do that as well?
- Asked by Jeffrey W from Los Altos
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I use my AirPort Time Capsule as a wireless access point?)
The AirPort Extreme and AirPort in the Time Capsule make independent wifi networks in your house or office. No monthly fee for the wifi.
If you connect either of these to an ethernet cable leading to a cable modem or a DSLR modem then you'll no doubt have a monthly fee for internet access.
- Answered by Richard W from Warren
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Is the Airport Time Capsule an independent wifi network or will I have to pay a monthly fee?)
Yes you always need an external hard drive! iCloud/iTunes Match does NOT back up your uploaded music you've imported into iTunes (CDs...). It only backs up iTunes music that's available in the iTunes store available in your country. Be advised, your "purchased" iTunes music is NOT yours to own, but yours to manage. Back it up so you can always import it again in the future if that music has been deleted from the iTunes store. Happens too frequently. I found this out the hard way. I say have a plan, then have a back up plan.
- Answered by Graham S from Columbus
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (I am backing up my MacBook pro and my iphone etc. to the Apple cloud. Do I need The Time Capsule also?)
Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?
I have an iMac with a 1TB fusion Drive and a Macbook Air with a 128GB SSD. I want to use the Time Capsule to back up my iMac and i want to use an external drive connected to the time capsule to back up my macbook air using time machine.
- Asked by Corin G
- Flag as inappropriate (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
Yes, Time Machine now allows multiple hard drives and time capsules.
- Answered by Frederic L
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can i use an external hard drive with the Time Capsule as a separate time machine?)
Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.
I would like to keep the time capsule on the mid level alongside my iMac on the computer desk, but I don't know what will give me the fastest connection. I don't understand what the thunderbolt adapters and other cables do. Help!!! Thanks in advance!
Side note: what hard drive (if any) do I need to stream my media to other devices besides my Apple TV?
- Asked by Brandi S from Severn
- Flag as inappropriate (Is Ethernet needed for this to work? I have a 3 floor townhouse with modem on the bottom floor. I hate Fios.)
using flash router + vpn with time capsule, what is best set-up for proper through fair when connecting FR to Lan port? Any tweaks?
Can ports be changed that it uses? Can I give it more bandwidth for better flow?
- Asked by Joseph E K from Owensboro
- Flag as inappropriate (using flash router + vpn with time capsule, what is best set-up for proper through fair when connecting FR to Lan port? Any tweaks?)
No answers yet
is it safe to browse with open wifi using the airport time capsule?
- Asked by Carol R from Alburgh
- Flag as inappropriate (is it safe to browse with open wifi using the airport time capsule?)
I'm still on Snow Leopard OS on my Mac and want to use this new Time Capsule to do a full backup BEFORE upgrading to Mountain Lion OS X. Can I do it?
Snow Leopard compatibility / I have not any Mac running Mountain Lion yet
I have a laptop running Windows 8. It connects wirelessly so easily to Time Capsule. I can find the Time Capsule Data drive via windows explorer and drag and drop files into it wirelessly.
I use it as a back up data drive. I have not tried to do it automatically but I see no reason why it cannot if I set up Windows to do this.
- Answered by Laurie P
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (windows7 drive access?)
the new airport time capsule, is it as well an external hard drive?
- Asked by Angela H from Glastonbury
- Flag as inappropriate (the new airport time capsule, is it as well an external hard drive?)
Yes, I will even say better. The actual hardware its self is the same thing your normal external seagate or western digital would have without the wifi of course. Hard drives companies like Seagate and WD make their versions of Network Attached Storage (NAS) but aren't as user friendly as most would like. I have owned a Apple 2TB Time Capsule for quiet some time and wouldn't ever go back to anything else. I still use regular external hard drives for odd and end things but mainly use my Time Capsule. Being able to wireless transfer data and storage option for multiple devices is the amazing thing about it.
Hope this helps!
- Answered by Tyler H from Mayfield
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (the new airport time capsule, is it as well an external hard drive?)
how can i access this storage from PC
I want to access this storage from my windows 10 or windows 8 operating system. how do i do this ?
- Asked by Hemanth K
- Flag as inappropriate (how can i access this storage from PC)
Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?
What does Airport Time Capsule 3TB have to offer over Time Capsule 3TB?
- Asked by Glen B from Calgary
- Flag as inappropriate (Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?)
All Time Capsules are Airport Time Capsules.
Airport is the generic name for all of Apple's WiFi routers. Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme with a hard drive built in. Airport Extreme is the top of Apple's line of Airports; a very nice router and wireless access point with a shared USB port, an incoming Ethernet port, and three outgoing Ethernet ports. Airport Express is a somewhat more humble Airport with less range, a shared USB port and a shared headphone jack (for playing music from any Mac or iOS device on the network), one incoming Ethernet port and one outgoing Ethernet port.
You can use any Airport to extend the wireless network. In other words, one Ethernet port from your Internet Service Provider's modem can connect to a Time Capsule. You could put an Airport Express in a different room within range of the Time Capsule, and configure it to join the Time Capsule's network. Now, you can connect a printer and some powered speakers (or your stereo) to the Airport Express, and your wireless network now reaches farther, since the Airport Express acts like a repeater, communicating between a more distant computer and the Time Machine.
The Airport Extreme has more range than the Airport Express, but it doesn't have the shared headphone jack.
And an Apple TV also can connect to your TV and/or stereo for playing content from any Mac or iOS device on the network.
- Answered by Will M from Charlottesville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Whats the difference between Airport Time Capsule and Time Capsule?)
is a wifi signal always transmitted?
- Asked by George G from Tucson
- Flag as inappropriate (is a wifi signal always transmitted?)
Yes. To get internet access though you must connect it via Ethernet cable to a working modem.
- Answered by Robert G from Anacortes
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is a wifi signal always transmitted?)
Only benefit I would see would be the ability to extend your wireless network range. The Airport Time Capsule includes an internal hard drive that you can use to back up your mac computers.
- Answered by Abdul W from Sugar Land
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Are there benefits to having both an AirPort Extreme and an Airport Time Capsule?)
Do you have to use your cellular network wifi out of the house and the airport time capsule wifi in the house on an iphone5?
- Asked by Jennifer H from Onarga
- Flag as inappropriate (Do you have to use your cellular network wifi out of the house and the airport time capsule wifi in the house on an iphone5?)
You can use your cellular network while you are out and about and this will go towards your data usage ( so many MB / GB per month )
If you can connect to wifi while you are at home or out and about this does not use your cellular network and your data allowance will not be affected.