Questions & Answers for USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
187 Questions from the Community
Webcam (HDMI) for facetime use, would this HDMI to USB Adapter work with an external camera (GoPro, Camcorder,etc) in conjunction with a facetime call
Webcam (HDMI feed from camera) for Facetime use:
-->would this HDMI to USB Adapter work with an external camera (GoPro, Camcorder,etc) in conjunction with a Facetime call, if i prefre to have an external movable camera on a Facetime call, versus using the built in imac or mac camera?
Does the USB port pass through the DisplaPort signal?
USB-A to to DisplayPort adapter cables are now available, but the only thing standing in the way of using a mix of third-party solutions to connect the new USB-C Macbook to a DisplayPort external display is the lack of a splitter cable. In other words, you can connect to USB-A devices and DisplayPort-enabled displays from the single USB-C port, but you can't charge the laptop at the same time. If this accessory passes-through the DisplayPort signal to the USB-A port, then the Startech USB-A to DisplayPort adapter cable would enable simultaneous external display and charging.
- Asked by Garrison C from Fairbanks
- Flag as inappropriate (Does the USB port pass through the DisplaPort signal?)
Can this be daisy chained to get multiple HDMI monitors?
I figure this is a competitor to the microsoft surface products. The surface pro 3 paired with its docking station produces two mini-display ports for two external monitors. Does the new macbook have the capability to daisy chain two of these dongles together to get two external monitors via HDMI/VGA?
- Asked by David S from Gainesville
- Flag as inappropriate (Can this be daisy chained to get multiple HDMI monitors?)
Does it matter which end I attach the pigtail to?
In its pictured use, the pigtail is plugged into a MacBook, and the USB-C charger cable is plugged into the adapter and the wall charger.
Can I use this the other way around? ie, the pigtail plugs into the wall charger, and the long single cable goes to a MacBook?
I ask because I would like to have the charger, a USB hard drive, and a large TV all sitting together. The ideal would be that only the 2m USB-C charger cable goes from that collection of peripherals to my MacBook.
- Asked by Brian M from Chico
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it matter which end I attach the pigtail to?)
does it work with macbook 12inch (the newest model)?
I need it to connect my GoPro camera and view the files on my MacBook. So does or will it work?
- Asked by Isairis S from Channelview
- Flag as inappropriate (does it work with macbook 12inch (the newest model)?)
If it's a MacBook or 13" MacBook Pro, yes the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter can charge it. However the 15" MacBook Pro needs a full 85W to be able to operate fully *and* charge the battery, so if you have that model you will NOT be guaranteed a battery charge through this adapter. After being very frustrated by my laptop not charging I finally found support doc HT207256: "MacBook Pro can receive a maximum of 60W of power through the Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter or USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. For the best charging performance on MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), connect the power supply directly to your Mac."
- Answered by Stefan W from Lynn
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Can I charge the laptop and utilise the HDMI port at the same time with this adapter?)
Can it support a USB splitter?
Given that this is the only way to connect to the new macbook, can you connect a splitter to this adapter? For example, my iTunes library is on an external USB drive. if i wanted to sync my iPhone, without using wifi sync, can i connect the USB drive AND the iPhone to this adapter via a splitter? for me this is a key answer for whether I can buy the new macbook or not
- Asked by Richard H
- Flag as inappropriate (Can it support a USB splitter?)
Has anyone tried this with a Wacom Cintiq?
Wacom drawing tablets require both a USB port and an HDMI port to run both the touch input and display, has anyone tried plugging a their drawing tablet into the 2015 MacBook (or another USB-C supported computer) using this adapter? If so, did you note any issue with performance, input lag, etc.?
- Asked by James M from Outer Cove
- Flag as inappropriate (Has anyone tried this with a Wacom Cintiq?)
Can this adapter be used with an Amazon Fire Stick? As in can I plug my fire stick in the HDMI port and access my television media?
No answers yet
Will this cable work with my 2010 Apple Cinematic display?
I have a MacBook Air that I have connected to my 26" Apple Cinematic display (with speakers) (pre-Thunderbolt). Will this or another cable allow me to use the new MacBook in clamshell mode with my display?
- Asked by John V from Walnut Creek
- Flag as inappropriate (Will this cable work with my 2010 Apple Cinematic display?)
Yes, though you will need to adapt from HDMI to whatever input your display uses if it does not already accept HDMI.
The middle port is HDMI which outputs video and audio with the following specs:
1080p at 60Hz
UHD (3840 by 2160) at 30Hz -- Commonly referred to as 4K.
- Answered by Alex N from Chicago
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Will this cable work with my 2010 Apple Cinematic display?)
Is there an adaptor letting me charge my iPad &iPhone 5 from the one wall charger?
I have an iPad and an iPhone 5 and charge both by pulling out the charging cable from one to charge the other. I've been given a iPhone charging dock but it needs its own power source. Is their some type of splitter/adaptor which would let me charge both from the one power supply. Sorry for what may be a very basic question - I'm not very tech savvy. The part number, if it exists, would really help. Thanks very much. Livvi
- Asked by Olivia W from Cranbourne East
- Flag as inappropriate (Is there an adaptor letting me charge my iPad &iPhone 5 from the one wall charger?)
Can I hook up my I Pad Air to my I Mac 21 inch desktop for streaming
I would like to steam Directv from my I Pad Air to my Desktop I Mac 2017. Is this possible?
- Asked by Barbara G from Ithaca
- Flag as inappropriate (Can I hook up my I Pad Air to my I Mac 21 inch desktop for streaming)
Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.
I have a macbook and bought the usb-c digital av multiport adaptor so i could attach an external monitor. I am looking to buy he monitor and am looking at a 4k (UHD) option but not sure about the best or compatible options.
- Asked by Jonathan W
- Flag as inappropriate (Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.)
I'm fairly certain it's HDMI 1.4. I tried a 4K screen on the weekend and could not get the refresh rate higher than 30Hz. I was able to drive a Dell 27" at 2560 x 1440 @ 60Hz. Those are the only two screens I've tried so far.
- Answered by Jason D from Yaroomba
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (Does it support HDMI 2.0? I wan't to know if I can use a 60Hz refresh rate on an external monitor.)
Can the video output be used to support a second monitor?
The product description notes that the multiport's video output allows "mirroring" but will it support a second desktop monitor?
- Asked by Benjamin B from New York
- Flag as inappropriate (Can the video output be used to support a second monitor?)
is the USB port on this adapter USB 3 or USB 2?
- Asked by Konner K from Beaverton
- Flag as inappropriate (is the USB port on this adapter USB 3 or USB 2?)
Ran a system report with the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter attached and it shows up under a USB 2 Hub attached to the USB-3 bus. The speed for the adapter is listed at 1.5 Mb/sec while the speed listed for the USB-3 hubs is listed at 5 Gb/sec.
- Answered by Michael M from Huntsville
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (is the USB port on this adapter USB 3 or USB 2?)
I'm using 25" and 27" Dell monitors with mine at 2560 x 1440 resolution @ 60Hz. You can support even higher resolutions (up to 4K), but then the refresh rate drops to 30Hz, which means mouse trails and in my opinion, doesn't look very good.
- Answered by Jason D from Yaroomba
- Flag as inappropriate Answer (What if I want to connect a large Display with resolutions over 1080p. Will the adaptor support higher resolutions as well?)