Apple has determined that the sleep/wake button mechanism on a small percentage of iPhone 5 models may stop working or work intermittently. iPhone 5 models manufactured through March 2013 may be affected by this issue.
Apple will replace the sleep/wake button mechanism, free of charge, on iPhone 5 models that exhibit this issue and have a qualifying serial number.
|The sleep/wake button is located on the top of your iPhone 5:|
If your sleep/wake button isn’t working properly, please enter your iPhone 5 serial number below to see if it qualifies for this program.
Please see the Replacement Process section for next steps.
Note: If your iPhone 5 sleep/wake button does not show any signs of this issue and/or does not have a qualifying serial number, no action is required on your part at this time.
Replacement of the sleep/wake button mechanism is done at an Apple Repair Center. There are two ways to send your iPhone to the repair center—carry-in or mail-in. See below for details. The replacement process takes approximately 4-6 days from the time your iPhone is received at the repair center until it is returned to you. Your iPhone will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program and is otherwise in working order. Before sending your iPhone to Apple for service, you will need to back up all your data and erase all your content and settings.
Note: If your iPhone 5 has any damage such as a cracked screen which impairs the replacement of the sleep/wake button, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the sleep/wake button replacement. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.
How to send your iPhone 5 to an Apple Repair Center
- Bring your iPhone 5 to a participating provider - Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Your iPhone will be examined to verify eligibility, and then sent to the local Apple Repair Center.
- You will be notified when your iPhone is ready for pickup.
- Call Apple and request a postage paid box to send your iPhone in to the local Apple Repair Center.
- Your iPhone will be examined by the Repair Center to verify eligibility.
- After it has been serviced, your iPhone will be returned to you by mail.
Preparing your iPhone 5 for service
Make sure your iPhone is ready for service by completing the following steps:
- Back up your data to iTunes or iCloud
- Turn off Find my iPhone
- Erase data and settings in Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings
- Remove any case or cover
Note: If you are running iOS 6 or iOS 7, your iPhone will need to be upgraded to iOS 8 after the sleep/wake button mechanism is replaced.
Apple may restrict service to the original country of purchase.
Your iPhone 5 must be in working order to qualify for this program.
If you believe you have paid for a replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.
This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iPhone.
The program covers iPhone 5 models for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit.