Apple 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter (for MacBook Pro with Retina display)

Get help buying. or call 1-800-MY-APPLE.
  • Overview

    The 85W MagSafe 2 Power Adapter features a magnetic DC connector so if someone should trip over it, the cord disconnects harmlessly and your MacBook Pro stays put safely. It also helps prevent fraying or weakening of the cables over time. In addition, the magnetic DC helps guide the plug into the system for a quick and secure connection.

    When the connection is secure, an LED located at the head of the DC connector lights up; an amber light lets you know that your notebook is charging, while a green light tells you that you have a full charge. An AC cord is provided with the adapter for maximum cord length, while the AC wall adapter (also provided) gives you an even easier and more compact way to travel.

    Designed to be the perfect traveling companion, the adapter has a clever design which allows the DC cable to be wound neatly around itself for easy cable storage.

    This power adapter recharges the lithium polymer battery while the system is off, on, or in sleep mode. It also powers the system if you choose to operate without a battery.

    Compatible with MacBook Pro with Retina display.

    Not sure if this is the right power adapter for your Mac?

    See this article for more details about choosing the right one.

    Knowing which specific Mac model you have is important. If you are running OS X Lion (10.7) or later go to the “” menu at the top left of your screen, choose “About this Mac” then click the “More Info...” button. Your Mac model and generation will be displayed.

    If you are running an earlier version of OS X, you can enter your serial number here to find out which model you have.

  • Mac Models

    • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012–2015)
  • 1.5 Average
    1 out of 5 stars
    Number of stars Percentage Number of reviews
    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      NOT GOOD.

      This charger gets extremely hot and the cable is very weak. Not a good design at all had to buy another one. I hope apple refund my money on the product.

      • Written by E O from luton

      653 of 704 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?NOT GOOD.

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Quality - I think not

      After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had After spending over £2500 on a laptop I would have expected the charger to have lasted a little longer that 16 months. I am not a heavy user but the charger had now 'frayed' at the mag 2 connector showing the metal grading around the cable itself. It is a poorly designed and poorly constructed piece of equipment which lets down the whole product. I just wonder what Apple were thinking of.......

      • Written by Eric H from Wolverhampton

      506 of 533 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Quality - I think not

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

      The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the The body of this power adapter overheats something terrible. It is dangerous and a fire hazard. Today the cable coming out of the main unit melted exposing the internal wires. In the process it melted a hole in the carpet it was sitting on. Overheating seems to be a recurrent problem with this design. Tomorrow I will see what the Mac Store has to say about this. I assume that they will replace the product for free.

      • Written by Neil M from Birmingham

      445 of 493 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?This product is a potential fire hazard - beware!

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      this charge cord is horrible

      I've had my Mac laptop since 2013 when i bought it for university. The Mac itself is fine, but the cord to charge it has been a pain in my side for forever. I a I've had my Mac laptop since 2013 when i bought it for university. The Mac itself is fine, but the cord to charge it has been a pain in my side for forever. I am on my third charge cord and the material covering the wire has split so far that I've had to resort to creating my own buffer. The first cord I had burned through my bed sheets! The second one got so bad it burned my hand, and the current one I don't find a need to replace if it keeps getting destroyed. Please fix this problem for all of us. I love my laptop but if I cant charge it I'll have to move to a different manufacturer altogether.

      • Written by Sarah S from Hudson

      2 of 2 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?this charge cord is horrible

    • 1.0 out of 5 stars

      Apple needs to completely redesign the chargers.

      The biggest problem is that these just don't last. between my 2 MBP15s I've been through so many I lost count. They get super hot right out of the box. I suspec The biggest problem is that these just don't last. between my 2 MBP15s I've been through so many I lost count. They get super hot right out of the box. I suspect that's the principle problem. I don't know if they need to make them bigger to space out the components or ad some kind of ventilation. I suspect the designers are just trying to be too slick.

      • Written by Daniel M from Pine City

      2 of 2 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Apple needs to completely redesign the chargers.

    • 2.0 out of 5 stars

      Just produce a "BANG" ... yup, it exploded.

      Looking at the other reviews .. seems like I was happy to have mine in a working condition for almost 6 years .. Purchased in late 2013 (came with the macbook) Looking at the other reviews .. seems like I was happy to have mine in a working condition for almost 6 years .. Purchased in late 2013 (came with the macbook) and today it just exploded in front of me on my desk (yes, with sound and smoke).. Hopefully I was around to remove it from the power outlet ... After that, on touch it was insanely hot, so I leave it outside to cool down. It could easily start a fire if I wasn't around. Cords and everything is just perfect after 6 years, no bends, no tear down... nothing .. but I handle it very carefully. Can't complain about that... only the explosion.

      • Written by Atanas A from Rakovski

      4 of 4 people found this useful

      Is this review useful?Just produce a "BANG" ... yup, it exploded.

  • Answers from the community